Have you lost weight for a big event?

iVillage Member
Have you lost weight for a big event?
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 5:38pm

How many of us have tried to lose weight for a big event like a family get together, New Years party, a wedding...? I think we've all been there. What do you think of the idea? Is a good way to jump start healthy eating if it's done with realistic goals?

I've been doing this in a way for the past year in a way. What I've done is say my goal is to lose X amount of weight by X date. On X date I'll have a event to look forward to being smaller. I have a trip this fall that is in the works and I'm trying to tie my WL goal around the same time as the trip. I also have a friend that summers in Seattle. When she gets back in a month from now I want to reach my 1st WL goal, which is what my food tracker says I should reach that WL goal. Enough about me! Let's hear it! Is this a form of positive reinforcement in the weight loss journey?

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 3:26pm
Wow, I love reading all the responses!

Just a little update. My friend comes back from WA at the end of the month. I only have 4 pounds to go!! I'm so excited to get this weight off. I think for me it's a added bonus to tie my goals to these little life events. Some of them are big events like the wedding I'm in next year. For the wedding I'm less stressed. I can only do what I can do, right? I know I won't be to my goal (If I am I will be shocked) but I can get very close to it by next April. Very close!! :smileyhappy:
Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 10:25pm
I agree with Angie. Losing weight is. Great goal, but not enjoying each day, no matter your size, is to me a waste of life..and it goes by so fast...
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 1:01pm

I agree with thatyank although I used to tie my weight loss goals to events ALL the time.  What I've learned is that you have to love yourself EVERY STEP OF THE WAY.  My weight should not prohibit me from having fun on that trip, or enjoying myself at that wedding.  I've hindered myself a lot in life because I didn't look the way I wanted to to enjoy something.  But I realize my life will pass me by with that mentality.  Having said that, I still think that challenging yourself is healthy and there is nothing wrong with setting realistic goals and being motivated to reach a particular goal by a certain time.  But if that goal is not reached, don't let it stop you from continuing on.  :smileyhappy: 

WORKING ON GOAL # 2

JOGGING MY WAY TO 175 BY
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 11:07am

Not a good idea IMO as the pressure it puts on you is so negative it's easeri to slip and fall off the diet weagon and then feel terribly guilty! Besides, such diets usually mean you gain it back after when you relax...

My goal has always been slow and steady and when I get there, I'll get there. That way I keep it off.

CL for "