Healthy Easter lunch ideas

iVillage Member
Healthy Easter lunch ideas
Wed, 04-04-2012 - 10:51pm

I know we always have a lot of talk about getting through the winter holidays and all the food choices and treats. How about Easter? How can you make Easter lunch or dinner a healthy one? Any tips or tricks on making a healthy Easter basket or gift?

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2012 - 10:23am
Wow! Tons of great ideas SJ! Thank you!!
Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-04-2012 - 11:58pm
Roast chicken, don't eat the skin. Asparagus. Salad with fancy lettuce, strawberries and a few almonds, low fat dressing- I have a ginger soy Newman's Own that is awesome on this salad. Carrots. For dessert, sugar free pudding made with low fat milk, strawberries, low fat cool whip. Shrimp cocktail. For your little one, this is the perfect time to start traditions...my sister in law always organizes an egg dyeing extravaganza on Saturday. We write messages with crayons, double dip to get the eggs colored different colors on each end. Even when my older nephew was a too cool teenager, he always participated in this. Some years we did two dozen. At their house, the Easter bunny hid the eggs and the kids looked for them. My sister in law always offered me ome for egg salad, but I have some 'food must be refrigerated' issues so I always say no. But even if you throw them out, it is a pretty cheap way to have a lot of fun. And healthier than hiding plastic eggs filed with candy. My sister in law also always put a tape or DVD in the kid's basket, which was nice because they had something to entertain them after dinner while the adults talk. One of my cousins puts 'outside' toys like bubbles, jump ropes, whiffle bats and balls in the basket, and that gets the kids outside and running around. I would only buy a small amount of candy because you know it will tempt you, and she is too little to know how much other kids get so whatever she gets will be her normal. I do always hope the kids get peeps so I can have one...they are actually not that high calorie....but there is no reason to buy a five pound chocolate bunny...make her basket reflect the life you want for her...oh,and I almost forgot...books...I always gave all the kids books, and they had a nice little library to choose from as the years went by...plus reading creates lovely cuddle moments.. Happy Easter SJ