Hello Ladies, and Happy 2013

iVillage Member
Hello Ladies, and Happy 2013
Fri, 01-04-2013 - 2:27pm

I have been a lurker out here for the past year.  Lots of things going on in my life, most not of the pleasant variety, and I just put my weight loss aside and did my best to not gain much while I have been dealing with things.  I have had a couple of health issues that have been difficult to adjust to.  First of all, I have COPD.  Misty, if you're stil out here - and any other of you younger ladies who smoke - please do what ever you need to do to try to quit!  I've been a 2 pack per day smoker for over 35 years and not only has it cost me thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years, it has cost me dearly in my health too.  I can barely climb a flight of stairs or walk a block without becoming winded.  Also, I'm begining to experience arthritis in my hands and my knees in particular, so those little aches and pains are starting to creep up on me.  My daughter and her boyfriend alternate between helping me out and driving me crazy, and I am anxious for them to move out and get a place of their own.  Anyways, 2012, for me, was all about regrouping and coming to terms with some new realities and just learning to be okay with "not being perfect or in total control of my life".

So, on to 2013.  I saw my son and daughter-in-law at Christmas and my son has lost 60 pounds in 4 1/2 months on Atkins.  I did Atkins years ago (in the '90s) and had good results until I hit my goal weight and then ate everything in site for the next decade.  So, inspired by my son, I went on Atkins on January 1st.  My December 31 weigh-in was 235.5 and my January 1 weigh in was 235.0.  So that was my starting point.  After just 4 days, I'm already down to 228.

I don't have any unrealistic expectations that my weight loss will continue at the rate of almost 2 pounds per day, but it is motivational to see results quickly.  I will stay on the induction phase until my weight loss slows to 1-2 pounds per week, and then switch to the on-going weight loss phase.  One thing I will say about the induction phase is that it does make you appreciate the little things in life.  I ate 5 roasted and salted almonds last night and thought I had died and gone to heaven.  LOL.

Hope you all are having a great start to the new year and I'm planning on hanging out here more, now that I'm actually working on losing weight!

Liz

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

Administrator
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 8:26am

Hi Liz,

It's great to see you back! :-)

Karla
Community ModeratoriVillage.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-07-2013 - 1:16pm
Welcome back Liz! You've been very missed! Now that we are in the first real week of January I think you'll see more of us back on here. I'm thrilled you are back, putting your health as a priority!! You so deserve to be the happiest "you" that you can be. Hugs hugs and more hugs!! :)
Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!