Hello, New here

iVillage Member
Hello, New here
Tue, 02-22-2011 - 9:41pm

Hi everyone. My name is Karri and I am new here. I am overweight and have been most of my life. I have a 3 yr old daughter, and DH that passed away 4 months ago. I would like to loose 100-120lbs. My problems are that I eat when I am bored, and I just love food. I have a sweet tooth, but not horrible.

When I diet, its like my brain freaks out and I start out great all day long. But just before bed I cave in and have unhealthy snacks.

Karri,

Mommy to Lilly Mae

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-26-2011 - 3:31pm

Hi Karri and welcome to our board!

Wow!

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-23-2011 - 7:21pm

Welcome!

This board is great!

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-22-2011 - 11:41pm
Kare
Welcome to the board. It sounds like your plate is very full, and probably quite sad right now. Good for you for making sure you get healthy for your daughter.

An exercise option that is good and doesn't require you to be on your feet is Pilates - in fact, for most of it you are lying on the floor! Most gyms offers classes -so do adult ed and YWCA's. If getting out is a problem Exercise TV has some good videos. All you need is an exercise mat. You can do it at your own level. If you could combine that with some walks with your daughter on weekends, maybe swimming or bike rides when the weather gets better, it would be a start for you.

I am a night time eater, and I take a bowl of dry cheerios to bed with me most nights. They are crunchy and I eat them one at a time so they last a while, and they fill me up so I don't wake up hungry. Another good 'late night' snack is sugar free 60 cal pudding - as long as you can limit yourself to just one!

Your daughter is young enough that you can buy 'healthy' snacks for her and imprint good habits now - fruit, popsicles, graham crackers - things that if you decide to snack on them, they won't ruin your eating. I have no children and live alone, so when I buy something, I can't pretend it is for someone else - but I do know that when I have the chance to pretend it is someone else I am buying for (company, etc) then I have food at my house I don't want to eat and that takes me on a path I don't want to be on.

When I am really struggling with eating late at night, I try to go to bed earlier adn limit the hours for eating. I find that if I have a nice bath and get going to bed early, I do better than nights (like this one!) when I stay up late.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes
SJ
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-22-2011 - 10:53pm
I totally understand how you feel about exercise at the end of the day. I always had the best intentions, but was so pooped at the end my work day that I found any reason I could not to exercise. I have started getting up 30 minutes earlier and doing some cardio then and it has worked. I hate getting up in the morning, but it sucks no matter what time you get up, right? So far I have kept it up, and then it is done and out of the way.