Honey Boo Boo's mom lost 100 pounds

iVillage Member
Honey Boo Boo's mom lost 100 pounds
Thu, 02-07-2013 - 12:39pm

When I was logging into ivillage I saw an article about Honey boo boo's mom losing 100 lbs http://www.ivillage.com/mama-june-drops-100-lbs-without-even-trying/1-a-520671  and it doesn't even look like she was trying. Why can't that happen to me? I can't lose 10 lbs without trying. I don't know if this is encouraging discouraging.  

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-16-2013 - 5:44pm

I remember posting out here quite a while back (when I was still the CL) about seeing a former co-worker walking through the plaza at our office center and I knew she looked familiar but I couldn't figure out who she was because she had lost so much weight.  She was using one of those 'diet doctor' plans and she did lose an incredible amount of weight fairly quickly.  Then she quit going to the clinic.  Guess what?  Yup.  I saw her the other day and it looks like she has put most of it back on.  I feel badly for her, but when you lose weight, you need to do it in a way that you are changing your habits that can sustain your weight loss.  For me, I know it won't be 20 grams of carbs per day for the rest of my life.  But I also know that the days of carbs for breakfast, carbs for lunch, carbs for dinner, and a box of Chicken in a Bisket crackers in front of the TV in the evening are a thing of the past that can't return in the future.

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-13-2013 - 1:14pm

All great info Misty! I just wanted to add for anyone reading this that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. A pound of fat is the same weight as a pound of muscle. A pound is a pound. What can happen for anyone that start working out (that never worked out before) or someone (like myself) that starts doing weight training that has never done weights before, will build up muscle. Those bigger muscles do weigh more than little muscles! I was watching a youtube video of this woman that once got on a exercise bike several times a week for a couple years. She got rid of her bike in a move and didn't bike for about a year. During that year she lost 7 pounds. When she got around to buying a new workout bike she gained 7 pounds over the course of a few months BUT lost a inch off her waist! Its proof that when you build up muscles that are small and weak, you will see a increase on a scale. I think that is part of the scale problem I'm having right now. I started weight training last fall. At first I lost 7-8 pounds right away. I haven't seen a big drop in weight other than that. Everyone that sees me now goes on and on about how small I'm looking. In 2011 I lost nearly 50 pounds and didn’t get much complements. I lost about 20 pounds in 2012 (and weight trained) and I get TONS of complements. I should have taken my measurements because I think people are seeing inches lost. I highly recommend getting out there and doing some weights if you are ready. It does wonders for your body!! 

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-10-2013 - 5:34am

If you have a ton of bad habits as June have, changing one or forgetting one, makes a difference. But if  you are still living healthy and moving around,  you can still weigh more then you want due to muscles, muscles way more then fat and not the weight you should be focusing on, it is the over all healthy state of your body. We do not all have the genetics to look like a stick figure or have a ton of muscles, curvy is good too. 

My when my husband moved in with me, he started eating more regulary,  healthier and less sweet stuff with out thinking about it and he has lost over 3 years 44 pounds and gained muscle mass , we had to make his wedding rings smaller twice.   I on the other hand  only lost weight when I was pregnant but I am healthy , my doctor says that my body is if we ignore the muscleproblems are as healthy as  person half my weight.  

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-07-2013 - 1:01pm

I totally understand how you feel right now. I have a friend that had WL surgery last October. She was around 260 (larger than me) and now she is WAY smaller than I am! I have another friend that posted last week that she's lost 30 pounds doing to this diet doctor for the past couple months. They both look so thin. I honestly have to look the other way because deep down it hurts. 

I read the Momma June article you post. If you calculate it out June has lost about 4 pounds per month over the course of 2 YEARS. That less than 1 pound per week. In all honesty at her highest weight of 360lbs its easier to drop weight will less effort rather than being in the 200's and trying to do the same thing. When you are smaller it takes more work. A lot more work. I'm very happy for June because she's doing it the right way Slow and Steady. I'd rather not take 2 years to get the next 53 pounds off me, but that's me and my goals. You know?? Don't dispair! You will get there will a plan in place for your life! HUGS!! 

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!