How about a "healthy substitute" thread?

iVillage Member
How about a "healthy substitute" thread?
Sat, 01-22-2011 - 4:59pm

Do you have a type of food that you have trouble saying "no" to, or have you found a great healthy option to satisfy your craving for something?

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

iVillage Member

I'm not a big "sweets" eater, but every now and then I want something really rich and sweet and chocolatey.

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-23-2011 - 12:03am

Great idea Liz! We ALL have things like this that are SO difficult to say no to. Here's a few of mine and what I've found satisfies the craving...

Lays Wavy Hickory BBQ chips and/or Cheetos. These two salty bags are what put me in the hospital with my kidney stone. I used to pair the BBQ chips with cream cheese (more artery clogging please!) and I could eat 3/4's of a bag with a 8 oz tub of cream cheese in one sitting. A bag of Cheetos? Forget it, gone in one sitting. Both of these became my comfort food. If I had a bad day or was feeling very low, I would turn to those everytime. I've learned that most of the time I don't even really want it, it's just habit. Now when I have a salty craving I pop a bag of Orville Redenbacher SmartPop Kettle Corn. I don't use the single serving bags because I find they burn more often than not. While not great for the sodium content, I sprinkle some Molly McButter on it to add a little more flavor if necessary.

*Note: Hidden Valley has powdered canisters of their ranch dressing mix. Liz I'm betting you could sprinkle a little into a bag of popcorn, shake it up and have a healthier alternative to your chip cravings too!

Ice Cream. Oh. My. Goodness. I absolutely LOVE ice cream. Edy's, Ben & Jerry's, Haagen Daz, Coldstone... just YUM! Ice cream is a hard thing to find a better alternative for. Thankfully these companies have realized people are getting more health conscious and are trying to make the lower fat options taste better. A couple of months ago my roommate discovered Skinny Cow and I tried one. These things are SO yummy. All of the ice cream bars and sandwiches they sell have less than 3.5 grams of fat, most don't exceed 2 grams. Like most healthy alternative, they aren't cheap. They're around $4 a package at Wal Mart but they're worth it to me, knowing I can have my ice cream and eat it too!

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-23-2011 - 11:36am

Cheetos - yes indeed.

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-23-2011 - 10:47pm
My big sweet substitutes are 60 calorie jello sugar free pudding, with a little low fat cool whip...diet hot chocolate, also with cool whip...sugar free popsicles and low fat frozen yogurt. Sherbet is good too..

For crunchy, I like chherios, sometimes with a few nuts mixed in.

I like popcorn too, but I save it for the times when I know I need to eat a lot to feel satisfied.

SJ
iVillage Member

So I guess that my suggestion about the SF Hot Chocolate at bedtime might have fallen a little flat...?

iVillage Member
Not at all - I love SF Hot chocolate...I just love playing on line and watching Jay Leno and reruns of 'The Nanny' at midnight too.

I actually realized that most nights, i don't get home until close to 8:00. I call my mother (can be five minutes of 30 depending on the night and the day she's had), check on e-mails from work in case any crisis developed while I was at the gym (and respond on the times when it has), eat my dinner (most nights I heat up something I made earlier in the week, so I can have dinner quickly), switch the stuff in my gum bag for clean stuff, do some dishes (my lunch container, protein shaker, oatmeal bowl-I use the same ones every day-no idea why since I have a dishwasher and it aggravates me to wash them, but I still do it because I like the containers I use and can't be bothered to get additional ones), make my lunch, and usually do one chore-laundry, cook, pay bills, trach, pick up - plus maybe make a phone call and/or spend a little time on line. And I can't figure out whay I'm not in bed at 10:00? Really? The math ses pretty easy when I actually think about it...

And once I cross the 11:00 line, my 'second wind' kicks in and I'm good for another couple hours...except in the morning I think 'TONIGHT I'm going to bed early'. My ability to deceive myself crosses many more lines than just what I eat...

And to get back on topic - Dannon Fat Free makes a coconut pineapple yogurt that is very pina colada like for 80 calories - and a caramel one too...yummy yummy

SJ
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-26-2011 - 10:54am

I enjoy having sugar free hot chocolate. I use to drink a couple mugs of it during the day and then found my new love.....flavored lipton teas! I am currently indulging in the vanilla carmel. I find not only does it squash my sweet tooth but it also destresses me sometimes. As a bonus I find I am getting more in water wise because I just love different kinds of tea so much. I also have started dark chocolate almonds. I eat less than a serving of those and keep them in snack size ziplock bags.

iVillage Member

Are you talking about actual dark-chocolate coated almonds?

iVillage Member

I didn't mean that you would hate my idea - just that you probably had already tried it.

I know what you mean about the drawing out of the evening and the second wind.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-28-2011 - 11:21pm
Liz
(((hugs)))

All I can wish for you is the courage and strength to get through each day...

I read a lot of different boards and I sometimes think we all self medicate - drugs, food, drink, shopping, gambling, men...I sometimes wonder if anyone is actually happy with the life they have...and why we don't figure out how to solve our problems so we can stop self medicating (and the WE in this is ME - usually at work I am saying 'we need to do x...and the we in that sentence is you' but in this case, I am looking in the mirror.)

If we all got our acts together, Ivillage would have to shut down for lack of problems...

Have a good weekend!
SJ