How do you eat less?

iVillage Member
How do you eat less?
Mon, 03-25-2013 - 12:43pm

How do you start to eat less? I know I need to cut down and I can portion out things until I am blue in the face but I just help myself to more portions. I know that I need to draw the line somewhere but knowing and doing are two different things. How do you talk yourself into just saying no (to seconds and thirds, etc)?

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-31-2013 - 8:53am

That is definitely the problem with me. I think it's called will power. You simply have to determine you are not going to eat more than a certain amount and stop. It sounds so simple doesn't it? If only it were! Like with most things, practice makes perfect. Start with something small and work your way up. 2 bowls of cereal instead of 4. One sandwich for lunch instead of 2. One large helping of everything at dinner instead of 3 platfulls, etc.

You can do it, you'll just have to set some small food goals and work your way up.

Brenda

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-17-2013 - 2:37pm

It's not necessarily about eating less; but rather eating more of the right things and less of the wrong things. I have been on the wagon for 7 weeks, and have lost and gained (lost more than gained). However, I never gain more than I lost the previous week. But the most important thing is that I am not on a diet. I don't have a list of things I can and can't eat (been there, done that, and have failed... more than once). I just choose better. And, usually, I am equally stuffed without anywhere near the same caloric baggage, and more satisfied.

Before, I would get hungry and go find something quick. I'd be on my way home late, and I'd stop and buy a chicken strip meal. Chicken, how bad can it be? Well, at 1530 Calories, very bad! Sometimes, I would add a strip, and another 203 Calories. And that doesn't include the diping sauce!

Now, I am eating everything I want. But, I ask myself several questions first:

1) Why do I want it?

2) Is there something I want more? Something tastier?

3) What else could I eat that will be more filling and equally/more satisfying?

In fact, last night, I was hungry and the first thing that came to mind was "where should I stop and what should I get?" Right in front of me was Taco Bell, and before I would have gone in and gotten a soft taco or something. Instead, I said "I can have some fruit at home". 

I got home, and had some strawberries. Portion wise it was a lot more than any soft taco could be, and it wasn't 200 Calories. 

I have ice cream several times a week. I eat chocolate or a piece of candy on the days I don't have ice cream. I have fruit and/or vegetables with every meal. I go to the gym at least 3 times a week, preferably 5-6 times. I drink water at least once an hour, and I don't waste any Calories on soda. Sparkling water works, so long as it has zero Calories. I am eating more now than I have in years!

It's really not about deprivations; it's about choices. Our choices led us here, and our choices can lead us out.

Good luck!