January One Stop Chat Spot

iVillage Member
January One Stop Chat Spot
Mon, 01-02-2012 - 10:23pm

Here's your monthly chat hot spot. How's your day going? Post it all, big and small. We want to support you!! :)

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-15-2012 - 12:14pm
I ended ip going to a sports medicine doctor when I broke my foot two years ago. I started in the general orthopedic dept. at a general Mass hospital and I would never go that route again - I have used them successfully in the past, and I might have ended up in the same situation eventually, but the sports medicine experience was so much better. My doctor ended up being Dustin Pedroia (Red Sox) and Tom Brady (Patriots) doctor -I picked him based on the hospital affiliation and some web recommendations. He was very caring and remembered things about me from visit to visit. Dustin got hurt after me, and I did not know we shared a doctor. I told my doctor that my friends were pointing out that Dustin was taking ground balls in the outfield and I was still inna cast. He said 'his break is entirely different than yours' and that's how I knew...but what made me think that this doctor was great was at a later visit when I said something about not being a pro athlete and he said 'it is just as important that you be able to do what you want to do in your life as that Dustin Pedroia can do what he wants to do in his life'. That seemed like the best philosophy and made me feel like I got good care. And I can run...so it worked. I sometimes have a little ache in my foot but I think structurally it is healed. There are alternatives to exercise that pounds on your foot...you will get through this. Ice, elevate, and if you Can handle it, ibuprofen.. Best wishes SJ
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 10:00pm
I walked and pushed my DD in her stroller this morning for 25 minutes then went to the gym. 30 really hard minutes on the recumbent bike, then 5 hard core minutes on the elliptical. I'm so proud I made it to the gym today. Praying I can do again tomorrow!
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 8:18pm
It is cold here today, and I was late leaving so I took a taxi to the gym...but I got in 15 bike minutes before lifting so it almost works out. I am traveling for work tomorrow and Friday. I like being in the other offices but the getting their and backmis aggravating because the planes are not on a convenient schedule (at least, the cheap planes aren't!) But my workouts are done until Saturday.... SJ
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 9:06pm
Safe travel SJ! I hope you are going back to sunny Florida! LOL!
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 8:04pm
No warm trip - just NY. And the worst thing happened. I got there with no problem, and was feeling fine. Got coffee and a bagel before the meeting, and a half hour in, my stomach starting hurting, and I was really hot. I went to the ladies room but that didn't help. I went back to the meeting but after 15 minutes, had to go back to the ladies room. I was there for a while, and I knew I would not make it. We stay at a hotel right near the office, so all I could think to do was to go there. Someone at the meeting who I know well came out and said she knew I was sick because I was so pale. She helped me arrange for the room, and I just made it here before I was sick. I slept for two hours, then felt fine. The meeting was really important and so even though I felt funny about it, I went back. I am glad I did but I still feel weird about it. I cancelled staying with my friend and I am in bed watching tv and posting. So bizarre... Meant to post this in my journal but I am not moving it..sorry to put TMI here... SJ
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 10:00am
What's your day looking like? We've already had DD's speech tharapy session this morning. I think we may have a little play time with another kiddo. For sure we have the gym this afternoon!
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 1:25pm
So weekly weigh in didn't go as good as the last 2, but I did lose 2 lbs this week, thinking that any loss is good, but still a little disappointed. I know it's because I wasn't able to get any exercise in because of the darn foot. I am loving this warm weather though. I would love to be able to go out and enjoy it. I am taking the suggestion and looking at ways to use resistance bands so I don't hurt myself but can still get a workout in.
Oh, and I made the most awesome food last night for DH's birthday yesterday using just what I had in the fridge. Whole grain rotini pasta, diced tomatoes, low fat ground turkey, bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Made it all in one pot (kind of like a healthy homemade hamburger helper) It came out wonderful (especially considering I don't cook a lot). Normally don't like whole grain pasta since it tastes a little funny, but turns out if you cook it with some low sodium broth it really helps. I am thinking about trying out some more new recipes now since this one was such a success
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 10:28pm
Tmz - I would like some play time Lanai - I will be over for dinner because that sounds yummy. And I think I forgot to say that I think riding your bike in a cast is not a good plan...stationary bike maybe, but not one that moves:). Oh, and two pounds a week is awesome... I am sitting on the couch watching reruns of Law and Order...I like winter for the laziness factor but this is pretty ridiculous. I am going out to lunch tomorrow so I don't have to make it tonight. Since I forgot it on Monday, I didn't have to make it on Monday night...great week.. SJ
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-27-2012 - 10:58am

Wish I had read this one yesterday! My genius self decided to take my friend's new bike for a test drive. The ride itself was easy enough, definitely easier than walking, but the dismount was not particularly smooth. Hurt like heck actually. Probably not going to repeat that one for a few more weeks. However, I did develope new bike jealousy. His bike is awesome!

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-27-2012 - 2:35pm
TGIF everyone! What's keeping you busy, active, and healthy this weekend?

I work on the weekends so this is the start of my work week. I'm so happy when Monday rolls around- unlike most of the world. :) I'm only doing this weekend work for the next couple years and then I can go back to a week day job.

I went to my hot yoga class today- Love This Class! If it weren't for this one class I might have changed gyms already!