Looking ahead: Maintenance Weight

iVillage Member
Looking ahead: Maintenance Weight
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 10:25pm

I know most of us are not at our ideal weight yet. It never hurts to look head and see what comes next. I've been thinking about the next phase of my life. What happens after we lose the weight and are at a ideal weight? I can't stop working out and eating junk food again. I know what happens when I do that! LOL! The last phase is called "Maintenance" and I'm starting to learn more about it. Here is a good article on how to keep the weight off once you've lost it. In fact I think its good to read now because I think those of use that have dropped the weight go through some of the same things right now... well before we are at a healthy weight. 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/557895-3-reasons-people-regain-weight/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=09122012

Let me know what you think. It's not a long read! 

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-19-2012 - 12:26pm
Tmz - I have been more or less maintaining for awhile..not that I am satisfied with where I am at, but that I am not dissatisfied enough consistently o work harder than I am...in reality, I gained 20 pounds from my original loss, but I have .been at or near that weight for a while. I think you have to think about this as a whole lifestyle change...many people can't wait to go back to their old way of eating and spending time, and that wil only take you back and beyond your starting point. It's why I think small losses each week are good...you make small sustainable changes, not unrealistic drastic ones. You also have time for healthy behavior to be a habit. But I think, inside me will always be someone who thinks potato chips and chocolate can solve any problem. So I have to fight fight fight that. One thing I find helpful is reading the Exercise and Healthy Living and the Running Women boards. Doing that, you get to 'know' women who are starting with a healthy attitude towards food and working out...many of them struggle with weight issues, and that is how they got to where they are. They have the same problems we all do - money, kids, family, depression, illnesses, job loss...but there reaction to it isn't 'eat' it's 'workout'. It shows you that there is another way to think about life than food solves all. I read 'Gymrats' before it merged into the Healthy Living group, and something about the merging made it comfortable to post there. You might find that helpful. I think you ave done a lot of inner work on this journey, and I think that too will help you maintain. Best wishes. SJ