Needing some thoughts/Direction from you ladies

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Needing some thoughts/Direction from you ladies
Sat, 09-15-2012 - 3:33pm

I would like to pick your brains a little please:  I am feeling a little dicouraged and confused about this journey of mine, For the last two months I have been taking fitness classes at a local wellness center, I started with 2 cardio kickboxing classes that are an hour long each,  Then I added I step aerobics class and then a strenth class and finally a step combo class all an hour long.  I am tracking my calories at sparkpeople.com eating whole healthy foods, obivously I am not perfect and I have days where I eat something that is not great but I always track it and I honestly think it's been 3 weeks since I have gone over my suggested calorie count, In the last 2 months I have only lost about 9 lbs now I hear you that is a 1lb a week that is good but 6 of those lbs happened litterally in 4 days.. the days following my trip to boston where I was not as careful about what I was eating.  I 5'5 inches tall and weighing in now at 263lbs, I have been sticking to the low side of my calorie range( the range I was given was 1550-1970) I feel like with the 1500 calorie diet and the 6 day a week excercise plan I should be losing at least a 1lb a week but more like 2, my clothes do not feel any looser except maybe in the arms (which my strength class does alot of, we do several sets of push ups at each class plus the kickboxing class uses arms a ton)    I feel strong, really tired alot but strong.  I recently adjusted my fitness settings on my sparkpeople acct and it now suggests that I eat about 400 calories more,  What do you all think am I really not eating enough, do you see another problem in my plan.  What do each of your workouts look like and your food plans (calories points whatever).  I am scared to increase my calories but I didn't loose anything this week, I am only halfway through my cycle(tmi sorry but it plays a role) I gave up table salt the last two weeks thinking maybe I was retaining water somehow, That's another thing ..religiously 8+glasses of water plus 1 coffee and 1 geen tea, had my thyroid and glucose levels checked at my last check up..Thoughts...help please

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-17-2012 - 12:16am

I definitely agree with the sleep part.  8 hours at least.  Rest/Recovery is extremely important for weight loss. 

As far as the calories are concerned, my personal experience thus far has been that I eat between 1,200 - 1,600 calories a day WHILE exercising 6 days a week, however, my workouts are more cardio based with conditioning in there......(i.e. Insanity).  I do not weigh but there is no doubt that I'm losing weight and I've been at it for going on 12 weeks. 

You sound like you are doing everything right.  I would play with the calories for one.  Go higher.  See what that does.  Go a bit lower.  See what that does.  Take a look at your macronutrient percentages.  How much fat, carbs, and protein are you taking in? (I try to keep mine around 35% fat, 45% carbs, 20% protein, but something different may be more suitable for others). 

It really is about learning what YOUR body responds to.  Some people like low carb and it may very well do the trick for you...but it may not be suitable for others.  It's hard to just say...."do this", when your body may not like that option lol.  But definitely experiment with the calories.  Your exercise and water sounds great to me!  I hope you make progress soon!!

WORKING ON GOAL # 2

JOGGING MY WAY TO 175 BY
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 9:19pm
I reread your first post. Do I understand you correctly that you are doing about 5 workout classes per week at about a hour long each? Are you doing any weight lifting on your own outside of the classes? Once I added the two weight training days to my workouts my weight loss really started moving again. I weight train for about 30-35 minutes two times a week. Another thing I've learned by listening to some experienced trainers is that you really have to change your whole workout every 4 weeks and you have to do the workouts with a little bit more intensity every 7 days. For example I started out with 10lbs weights. Now I'm using 12 and sometimes I can use 15 pound weights. The body can become accustom to those workout classes and certain cardio workouts quickly. You might be one of those people that are genetically more adapt than others. Your body may be learning the workouts a bit quicker than others.

For now I'd add the extra calories for a couple weeks and see how it goes. Increase your intensity at your classes and keep sticking to your food budget. I think you are doing amazing! I remember once getting stuck like that for WEEKS. I remember it was 6 weeks and the scale didn't move a pound. I would cry and cry because it was so disappointing. Please just hang in there. Do whatever you gotta do to figure this out. It's worth it. YOU are worth it!!
Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 7:37pm
I'm about to have dinner myself but I wanted to post something really quick and I'll come back on here later tonight. I think you can go ahead and increase your food by 300-400 but please just add healthy proteins or veggies. Maybe a few whole grains but try not to add much in the way of carbs. I would suggest trying that for no more than 2 weeks and see where your weight is at that time. I know some think its best to weigh once a week or month but I'm in the camp of weighing every day. I suggest it and do it for myself because the scale will tell me a lot each day. Cut back on food, cut back on salt, get more sleep, drink more water, take my GI meds, etc etc. Its taken YEARS to learn what the scale is saying but it can be learned.

Increase for just a couple weeks and see where you are at. I agree with you. You should be losing more weight if you are eating about 1600 and working out 5-6 days a week. That's my plan. I eat 1500 per day and workout 6 days a week. 2 days of weight training with 25 mins of cardio, and 4 days of 45 minute cardio. I lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. Sometimes more.
Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-16-2012 - 12:42pm
I think that if you are only eating 1500 calories and working out every day, that is too low. I would try eating closer to 1900 a day, but have the extra be half fruit and half protein, not more carbs. Try it for a month. Also, if you are not taking a multi vitamin, I would add that, and make sure you are getting 8 hours sleep and drinking 8 glasses of water. I work out 1 - 2 hours a dy, and my eating plan is to eat every 3 hours, trying to eat 20 grams of protein most of those times...but I am not eating on plan so I am not a good guide on this now...I do not feel tired (well, not more than I should be at the end of the day). Best wishes. sJ