New and ready to do this!!

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
New and ready to do this!!
Fri, 09-07-2012 - 10:57pm
I currently weigh around 268 lbs. I was down to 258 a few months ago. I have always been overweight, but I am truly ready to do this. I started using the my fitness pal app to track my food and workouts but I have been really stressed thus gaining my weight back. I am ready to get back on track and do this for myself once and for all! I have been going to hour long (or more some classes up to an hour and a half) twice a week. I want to up this to three times a week and try to do some type of strength training a few times a week. I am great about going to Zumba twice a week but I struggle to workout on the other days of the week. Any suggestions for helping me workout on the days that I don't have zumba? I LOVE Zumba so that's easy, but as far as making myself get up and walk in the morning or evening it's not been easy. Any suggestions on a weekly workout plan that includes my Zumba? What should I add? Thanks and good luck to everyone!!! :smileyhappy:
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 6:39pm
Welcome to the board! I love Zumba too, with the right instructor. The time goes by fast and you definitely sweat. Are you taking classes at a gym? Do they have other options? I like Pilates, it is low impact and a really good stretch, and a good instructor can teach to multiethnic levels in one class. Do you have access to weights? You probably need 3, 5 and 8 pound dumbbells to start a weight routine. And walking is a good place to start too. Ideally, you want to do 30 - 45 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week, something like Oilates or yoga once or twice a week, and weights 2 or 3 times, for around 30 minutes to start. So Zumba would be two cardio days. If you added two days where you walk for 30 minutes and then do weights for 30 minutes, and a Pilates class, you would be at a good beginner level. A good weight routine (you can google or look on YouTube for demos of these) do three sets of each, starting with the lightest weights, then move to the heaviest. You can do 15-12-10, or 12-10-8 repetitions depending on how hard they are. Here is an order I like. Shoulder press, squats, side raises, plié squats, upright row, lunges, bicep curl, Deadlifts. That works the upper and lower body, and because you are alternating between them, you don't need a lot of time between sets. In between, stand up straight and suck in your abs...and drink a little water. If you do this for a while and get bored, I can suggest some other sequences. I also like both Fitness and Shape magazine for their exercise suggestions and the inspirational stories. As for motivation, in the beginning I rewarded myself each month with a non food reward if I met my workout goals....you might want to tr that...best wishes. SJ
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 12:21pm
I haven't read the other responses yet but I wanted to say CONGRATS for getting started again!!

If you don't like to walk then don't do it. Or limit it to once a week. I was larger than you and I remember how hard it was to workout at that size. Everything hurts and it's frustrating.

When I was about your size I was walking 3days a week for about 20 minutes. Ten minutes out and ten minutes back to the house. I had a yoga dvd for plus size women that I did 2-3 times per week. I used a elliptical at my gym for about 15 minutes at the fastest pace I could stand. I also would get on a recumbent bike for about 30 minutes and cranked up the settings as high as I could stand it. I think you are on the right track. If you can you should try to do 3 to 4 cardio workouts lasting at least 30-45 minutes each. On the days you don't do cardio you should try to do 2 days of weight lifting. Warm up your body for 5 minutes then work in sets of 10.

What I like to do is three type of weight lifting at 10 reps each. Then I repeat the set three times. For example:
10 dumbbell squats, then 10 pull downs, then 10 push ups.
I do all of those three times. A total of 30 dumbbell squats, 30 pull downs, and 30 push ups.
Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-10-2012 - 9:57pm
On my cable, there is On Demand, and under the Sports category there are Fitness workouts....I like those when I want a little variety..plus they are free. They are different lengths, a lot ten minutes or do. You can watch to see how it looks, then watch a second time and do the workout. A lot of people over the years have liked 'walk away the pounds' by Leslie Sansone. You might find it, or other videos, at the library (free) or on eBay (cheap). I work with a trainer...and I know I am incredibly fortunate to be able to afford it. If you think this is something you would like, I wouldn't write it off totally. if you are someone who eats a lot of take out or drive through food, or buys a lot of what I call 'crap' food, and you change how you eat to make healthy meals at home and stop the soda, chips, candy bar, ice cream cone, coffee drink merry ground, you will be surprised at how much cash you save. A good trainer can help you with a routine and check progress once a month. This might be a good reward to motivate healthy eating...if you save 2 dollars a day, you can afford one session a month with a trainer.... How about Zumba on Monday and Thurday, walk 30 minutes on Tuesday and Friday, on Tuesday, do 3 sets of squats, bicep curls, shoulder press, and on Friday, do three sets of lunges, tricep extension, dead lifts? On Wednesday, do 15 minutes of ab exercises...try to find some videos on you tube or On Demand tv to demo them. If you want to do something on the weekends, add in a walk, maybe with a freind or loved one. Do this for four weeks, then see what you liked and what you hated....and adjust...Best wishes. SJ