Newbie here

iVillage Member
Newbie here
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 2:35pm

After lurking for a while I finally decided to join iVillage. My name is Kiki, 30 years old with a wonderful husband. We are both struggling with our weight (though I have quite a bit further to go than he does) so we are trying to support each other.

This seems to work wonderfully when it comes to diet, not so much when it comes to exercise. Until I broke my foot a week ago I was walking the dog about 2 miles a day, and every few days taking my new bike out for a ride (don't remember it being so hard when I was a kid), he seems to have no interest in going with me for the walks, and very rarely for the bike rides. It gets very frustrating sometimes trying to do it all alone.

Anyway, I started fresh when we got back for the New Year, with a starting weight of 264, after 2 weeks of diet at exercise I got down to 252, and am going to weigh in again in 2 days.

I would like to know if anyone else struggles with motivation when it seems like you have to do it all by yourself. Any ideas for how to get moving when you can't move (darn foot!)

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

iVillage Member
In reply to: lanaibum
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 9:34pm

If you lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks, you are doing phenomenally well.

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 10:41pm
Kiki Welcome to the board. I actually love to workout. I am not married or in a relationship, so I don't have anyone I expo t to work out with me. I also broke NY foot two years ago. I liftvweight, and I was able to do most of that even with a broken foot. You can do many arm exercises seated. You need dumbbells - I recommend getting two sets, either 2 pounds and 5 pounds, or 5 pounds and 8 pounds. You can do shoulder press, side raises, bicep curls, tricep extensiosns, seated rows while sitting in a chair. You can also do leg raises where you start with your feetbflat on the floor and raise your legs out straight, then slowly return them tothe floor. You can also do AB exercices if you can get on and off the floor - maybe not in the first few weeks but after that it gets easier. Most Pilates moves are doable without using your foot. I swam almost the whole time that I was in a removable cast. (when I was in plaster that was obviously not an option) Hope you heal quickly! Best wishes SJ
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-23-2012 - 12:21am

Hello Kiki and WELCOME to the group! I'm so glad you decided to delurk and join us for life long changes.

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-23-2012 - 11:48pm

Hi - and wow!! Only 2 weeks and down 12 pounds - that's great!

I have a hubby that if anything could gain some weight, so I have had to go on this journey alone too. I had to change many things about how we relate regarding food. No longer can I sit down in the evenings to watch a movie with him as he wont stop with the bags of chips, chocolates, beer etc. I dont have the will power to not eat it too,

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-24-2012 - 10:53am
Wow, thanks for the welcome and the tips! I wish we had a public pool here, but no such luck. Was thinking about trying resistance bands... has anyone had any luck with those? If so.... how the heck do you use them? I am starting to get stir crazy not being able to get out and exercise, I am starting to wonder if I can ride a bike with a walking cast or if I will end up falling and hurting myself more. In my head I see a kind of comedic fall, 3 Stooges style.
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-24-2012 - 7:21pm
I think that if you go to YouTube you will find exercises for resistance bands - there should also be some basic ones with the bands. If you go o the Gym rats board in Fitness, the people there will give you good exercise suggestions and are very welcoming to newcomers (not trying to send you away - come back to us - but they know what they are doing) Best wishes SJ-
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-24-2012 - 9:33pm

Another website I came across this week is eHow. It's a website out of the UK, but its really neat and full of great videos. I hope this can be of some help. Sometime we've all got to think out of the box and I love you are trying so hard. :) You go girl!!

eHow

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!