Plateau...sad!

iVillage Member
Plateau...sad!
Sat, 02-04-2012 - 6:07pm

So I have been posting my mileage in the walking forum. I do pretty good I think but I'm ready to knock my head against a wall. I backslid at Christmas and gained a few pounds, which I have got off now..........but I am at the same weight I have

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-05-2012 - 12:55pm

Thanks for replying happy.

Yes, I have gone from 15.5 mile a week to 18.6 (and increased the incline)

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-04-2012 - 8:34pm
Plateaus are a normal part of this journey. We are asking our bodies to change, and sometimes they say no. I found that I had to measure progress in multiple ways -weight is of course one. How my clothes fit is another. How much I am struggling with healthy eating is another. How hard my workouts seem is another. If you don't want to count calories, how about food journaling? Not to control what you eat but as an information gathering tool. I did it in January and saw just how much I eat at night. I knew I was night snacking, but not really the extent of it. You also have to keep upping your work out in intensity and/or duration. As you lose weight and become more fit, you burn less calories doing the same thing so you have to keep making it harder for yourself. The important thing is to remain focused on the big picture - eating healthier and moving more. Everything else will follow from there. Best wishes SJ