Ran my 5K

iVillage Member
Ran my 5K
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 9:35pm
So a year ago - 10 months after I broke my foot, 4 months after I had a screw inserted to help it heal, 6 weeks after I was freed from a boot - I walked in a 'Run to Remember that the VFW in my brother's town sponsored. My brother is in the military and he serves quietly, proudly, and well, and although I do not think war is necessary, I am so proud of and admire so much his service and the sacrifices he and his family make. He was very proud of me for walking in the run(it was open to walkers)

I had one last visit woth my orthopedist and when he said 'you can do whatever you want now' I said 'except run' and he said 'you can run if you want to run'

The very same week, I hopped on the treadmill at the gym. I rsn for 30 minutes, and in think I ran 1.14 npmiles. Every week I ran a little faster and a little further. My plan was to surprise my brother at the race by crossing the finish line way before he expected me. I knew that it might not work out -he might becaway on military duty, or it might rain, or I might not be able to do it. But every time I got on the treadmill when I would rather have gone home, I thought of this October morning.

A few weeks ago, they visited me on the Cape and commented on my fancy running shoes and so I told them I was planning to run the race. My brother said he might be away, buy I planned to run snyway.

Then all week they predicted rain for today. But...thevstars aligned for me.

My brother, sister-in-law, and I all ran the race today. It was cloudy, sprinkles at the end, but we all ran. I finished in 41:40 which is a little less than the 14 minute mile I've been running. The coursevwas a little hilly, and I walked more than I wanted to, but I am happy. My SIL came in second in our age group - way way faster then me, and my bother was faster than her but didn't medal. But today was everything I wanted it to be and I am do happy and proud of myself tonight.

I plan to keep running although only twice a week for a while and focus more on speed. But tonight, I am just so thankful that I got to honor my brother by running with him.

SJ
iVillage Member
In reply to: happysj56
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 11:40am

Kudos to you!

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 12:34pm

SJ - this is so AWESOME!

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 12:37am

SJ, I had no idea you had gone through any of that. You are such a amazing person for not letting that get you down. Wow! I am so proud of you for sticking with it for so long!! You continue to inspire me month after month!

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!