September Chatting Thread

iVillage Member
September Chatting Thread
Tue, 09-04-2012 - 8:40am

Hello September and Hello to a healthy start to your fall season. I'm so excited you are on here doing this with me. Here's the place to say hi, post a small update, share you struggles, or anything else that is on your mind today. You are always more than welcome to start a new thread but if you want to share the little stuff this is the thread for you. :smileyhappy: I'm wishing all of you a super healthy spirit and body this fall season!! 

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 1:06pm
TGIF ladies!!! :smileyhappy:

I wanted to share something quickly with you. Please consider drinking more water if you are not much of a water drinker. I don't really care for water myself and I like salty foods. That combo is really hard on me. I've been drinking more water for the past solid week. I was retaining water by being dehydrated for weeks. Basically my body was holding on to the sodium and it needed to be flushed out with more water. Since I've been drinking more water for the past week I've dropped more weight than the previous 3 weeks combined! Drinking water works!!
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 1:18pm
Hi ladies! How's your day going?? Anything special going on in your world these days?

I'm seeing some friends this afternoon at the park that I haven't seen in months! Excited about that. :smileyhappy: Made my healthy blue berry muffins this afternoon. I needed some healthy options for breakfast this week. :smileyhappy: YUM
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 8:16pm
A- Hope you had a good walk and a nice weekend A! When I workout it really hurts. This is what I say in my mind after a workout: "That hurt like hell but WOW I rocked it and glad I did!" I'm sure you rocked your walk today too! Hang in there!

SJ- Thanks!! I do like my jobs and they are so flexible with my needs right now. I feel like I've outgrown the jobs though. I'm happy to stay but I'm really ready to step out and see what's available in my area. :smileyhappy:

Made it to the gym this morning! Ate pretty well today. Water is going OK but not as good as I need. Thanks for ALL the support everyone. :smileyhappy:
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 10:31am

Thanks for the kind words and helpful hints. I would love some recommendations on good reads, or who to follow on FB. I'm not on twitter yet tho :smileyhappy:

I'm going to keep this short, as my little one and I are about to take a walk in our area...I know my back is going to hurt! But I keep telling myself that if I keep at it, one day it will not hurt to walk long distances. I also agree w/ focusing on the small picture..so for now, 10lb increments will be my focus.

Have a great day!

A

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 5:59am
Holding good thoughts for you...they would be lucky to get you....
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 1:40am

Hi A!! How ya doing this weekend?? :smileyhappy: Here's some answers to your questions. I hope this helps to get to know us better. 

how much have you lost? I have lost about 400 pounds if you count all the times I've regained and lost and regained and lost! :smileywink: Seriously tho... I started out at about 285 pounds (I'm 5' 5") in 2007. I lost about 50 pounds before the pregnancy. I had a baby in '09 and got up to 290. After the baby came I was about 250. Stress of motherhood got me back up to 260 by March of 2011. Today I'm 208. My next goal weight is 199. I want to be 150 by next summer. 

how to maintain positive energy? Staying positive is one of the hardest parts to this journey. I think I stay more hopeful than positive. I focus on Very Small wieght loss goals at a time. If I look at the big picture I get upset with myself. I take it 5-10 pounds at a time. I get on here for support and my best friend, mom, and husband are very supportive. I read everything I can about other people that have lost a lot of weight through diet and exersise... like autobiographies (let me know if you need recs) and I follow people that have lost lots of wieght on TV, youtube, Facebook, and Twitter. I also follow some of the really good fitness trainers on Facebook, Twitter, and listen to thier Pod Casts. I totally suround myself with people that are virtually doing the same thing I'm donig. Like all of you. Another thing that helped was that at some point I decided this wieght loss thing wasn't a "battle" it was a "pourpus." It's hard to FIGHT all of the time. Sometimes I just tell myself that I'm lucky that I'm alive and able to do this for ME. I'm giving myself a gift of health, not punishing myself. 

I'm in no way giving in to the excuse, but my life is in struggles- financially and personally. To make it simple, I'm struggling to end a long, violent relationship and I don't make enough money for my house anymore. I'm 37, w/ 3 kids- but only 1 lives at home..that's because the other 2 are in college! My 21 yr old (yup, former teen mom) is a senior in college and my 17 yr old a freshman...and I have an almost 3 yr old (from the abusive relationship)...my kids rock and are smart and healthy...so I want to be too. Plus, I think life will change if I feel pretty again. See? There I go rambling again! How about ya'll?

Wow, you are dealing with some major changes in your life! That's not an excuse that's a reason for hitting rock bottom. All of us have our reasons for turning to food. You can go back and read some of my journal for a Endless list of reasons why I turned to food. For me, I was a overwieght preteen and teenager. I had lost some weight (about 180lbs at 18-19yrs old) but during college and after college I gained a lot. I was very sad with how my 20's was turning out. I wasn't as sucessful as I thought I should have been by 22 yrs old. I didn't know how to cope wih those feelings and situations of disapointment. I was very much alone at that time in my life as well. I wished that I had reached out for help, but I didn't know how or where. 

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 1:15am

Hi everyone- Please send some positive thoughts my way. I applied for a new job last Friday. I have no idea if it will work out with my schedule or if the pay is right :smileywink: but I'm really hopeful. It seems like it might the right direction for me. It could be the perfect thing for me. I'm just not sure until I get a interview and get some more info.

I love my current job, but I feel like I want a change and more pay. I'm happy to stay there if that's where I need to be, but I know I've outgrown the job. I've mastered it so well that I'm ready to take on more. Again, these are the things I want... not sure what God has in store for me! haha! 

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 10:56pm

Thanks for the helpful hints...it is so hard!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 7:26am
Hi and welcome to the board. I have neen on this journey for nine years. I do not know my highest weight because once I hot to 200, I stopped weighing..I estimate 225-235. I got down to 160 several years ago, and am currently at @ 180...I like to think 178. My goal in my head is 135. Which is what I weighed at so...26 years ago. I stay on the journey because I know once I stop trying to move down, I will move up...my journey is a reies of small changes - replacing bad habits with good. Ones. I didn't do everything at. Once, and I didn't sustain all of them...some things I get off track and go back. I have learned a lot. About what food means in my life, and it has little to do with physical hunger..food is my first choice to solve all problems, and I have learned to sometimes make other choices. Three good habits I recommend to peoe starting out is - first, replace sweet drinks with water...soda (diet or otherwise), juice, sweet coffee drinks...just stop. Try to drink 8 glasses of water spread throughout the day. If this is too hard at first, then scale back a little each week. Water wil help your body process the fat you are burning, and drinking it all the time will mean you are never thirsty...and sometimes when you think you are hungry, you are actually thirsty, so keeping yourself hydrated wil help with that..plus the added trips to the bathroom add exercise:smileyhappy:. Second, walk for 20 minutes a day. If that is two hard, split it up and walk for five minutes for times or ten minutes twice. Put on supportive shoes. Open your odor. Look at your watch..go. Halfway through your goal, turn around and walk back. Every day, try to walk a little faster so you go a little further. When 20 minutes get easy, go for thirty, or do two 20. Minutes. Too busy? Take your. Child with you. Get up 20 minutes early. Walk at lunch. Make this a priority. Third. Journal your food. Everyone hates oing this, but it is the key to knowing yourself and the food lies you tell yourself. Do not try to change what you eat at first. Just write it down...what you ate, where, when, why...after a few weeks, Analyze the result and look for places you could make healthy substitutions, times you are eating stuff you don't really like, what triggers your eting. If you always stop at the drive thru when you work late, put a piece of fruit or a granola bar in your purse and eat it before you leave work. If you always eat when you talk to your mother, call her from a landline tethered phone in a room with no food....if you eat when you are sad, think of a few other things you could do..have a bubble bath, email a freind and the next time you are tempted to use food to soothe yourself, try the other thing first..you can always eat later. This is not a miracle cure...the trick of this journey is there is no secret..it's hard but not complicated...eat healthy food in moderation, move more...let us know how you are oing. Best wishes. SJ
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 7:03pm

Hi. I'm new here. Today is day 1 and all I want to do is eat...but I remember how it feels to bend over. I feel like I represent the letter "O". I used to say I can't get how people get so large they just lay in bed. I get it. I can't wait to get home from work, take off my tight clothes and put on my loosest clothes....and I guess eventually that'd be a sheet, huh?

Anyhow, a little bit about me. I'm 5'7 and very near 300...about 280. I just want to get to 220 and I'd be happy! Plus, thinking 60lbs is less daunting.

I'd like to hear about you all- how much have you lost? how to maintain positive energy? I'm in no way giving in to the excuse, but my life is in struggles- financially and personally. To make it simple, I'm struggling to end a long, violent relationship and I don't make enough money for my house anymore. I'm 37, w/ 3 kids- but only 1 lives at home..that's because the other 2 are in college! My 21 yr old (yup, former teen mom) is a senior in college and my 17 yr old a freshman...and I have an almost 3 yr old (from the abusive relationship)...my kids rock and are smart and healthy...so I want to be too. Plus, I think life will change if I feel pretty again. See? There I go rambling again! How about ya'll?

A

Pages