Shopping for plus size?

iVillage Member
Shopping for plus size?
Tue, 02-19-2013 - 1:19pm

Im looking for some nice clothes that won't make me feel frumpy while Im trying to lose weight but lane bryant is expensive and they don't carry my current size. I also need something comfortable to walk in when I am at the track. I feel bad enough without drawing attention to myself in my husband's sweats. Can anyone help?

Tami

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-28-2013 - 9:45pm

Hi Tami! Good question!! I'm also on a really tight budget these days, but like you said after a certain point you need your own workout clothes that fit good and you are able to move around in. 

I have look high and low for affordable plus sized workout clothing. Believe it or not the best place is WalMart. I only wear WalMart workout pants these days. I went in there a couple weeks ago and bought new tshirts to workout in for $4.88 each and in really pretty spring colors to go with my black workout pants! If you have a Kohl's near by you can find good deals on the Clearance rack for sports bras, but the workout clothing isn't really made for plus sizes. 

Let me know if you find anywhere else that has affordable options because I'm always on the lookout for new workout clothes. 

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-02-2013 - 5:32pm
I also love Walmart for casual clothes...very cheap and very cute...
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-08-2013 - 9:27am

I have found some things I really like at Kmart.  I also shop the thrift stores.  I have had some great finds at Goodwill.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ladybug987/Signatures/springbutterflybarb.jpg>

CL-ladybug987

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-08-2013 - 2:01pm

If you don't mind online shopping, Woman Within has a fantastic selection of plus-size clothes at great prices and they also have good sales.  www.womanwithin.com

Molly
Arthritis Central

<<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v104

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-11-2013 - 10:53am

Thank you everyone for the ideas!

Community Leader
Mon, 03-11-2013 - 9:18pm

I checked it out Molly...:)

Lorie

Nightangel
Community Leader
Mon, 03-11-2013 - 9:23pm

Money is pretty tight but lately I have been finding some really fantastic finds at my local hospital opportunity shop...:)

They sell clothes that actually fit me...:) at a really great price and they look good.

Recently I bought myself several t-shirts and also bought a lovely tablecloth for my kitchen table.

Some placemats to that were very pretty!

I was looking at the purses to but decided to wait...;)...until the next time I go there.

Soon they will probably start putting out more Spring/Summer clothes...I cannot wait!

Lorie

Nightangel
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-17-2013 - 2:49pm

Hi Tami,

for many years I have shopped Lane Bryant and Avenue, and I understand how unreasonable the prices can be.

Earlier this year, my mom took me to Ross. I was hesitant and less than inspired. Until I found 9 dresses (the dressy kind) for $100. They were all $5-15. It is really hard for me to shop. I am not only big, but also TALL. My least favorite word when shopping is "regular". But, there, I found everything, all sizes and length. 

It is a hit or miss proposition, but it may well work. Also, Fashion Bug and Lane Bryant belong to the same company and usually carry a lot of the same stuff for significantly different prices. 

Of course, Walmart too has a varied selection at a reasonable price. Sometimes you can find a good deal in the right size at Target. I buy my workout clothes there.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-12-2013 - 2:25pm

My mom dragged me into a Ross store a few months ago when I needed a good interview outfit. We came out with TWO Lane Bryant tops and bottoms for less than $50. Woman Within is decently priced from what I've seen and they carry sizes above the usual cut-off point of size 28 that Walmart and LB do.

Quit Date: May 4th, 2013
"May The Fourth Be With Me!"