Stressful week = Soda Overload

iVillage Member
Stressful week = Soda Overload
Fri, 04-29-2011 - 12:58pm

Okay...why do I ALWAYS go straight to soda, breads, potato chips, etc when I am STRESSED?!?! I thought that stressed backwards was dessert?!?!? :smileyindifferent:

Anyway, any tips on how to curb these 'stressful' triggers and addictions?

Community Leader
Fri, 04-29-2011 - 2:02pm
Oh no! I'm so sorry. I hate when this happens. Have you tried not keeping soda, chips, etc. handy so you can't reach for them when you feel stressed. If you actually have to go out to buy a soda you're probably less likely to drink as many.
Don't beat yourself up. Just get a glass of water with lemon and start over. :)

Karla
Community Leader
WALKING
EXERCISE and HEALTHY LIVING

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-30-2011 - 12:11am
What kind of sodas are we talking about here? Heavy sugar or diet? No soda has anything nutritionally good for you but you can limit the damage by choosing diet sodas instead. My suggestion is to not even keep them within reach. If you want one so badly, you have to go out to the store and buy it. If you do this, buy ONE can or 20 oz bottle and leave.

As for the carb loading, try to find a healthier substitute. Popcorn instead of chips for example. Still crunchy and still salty but stay away from the calorie loaded versions like movie theater butter. One of my favorite comfort foods is cheese and crackers. Buy some whole wheat crackers (watch the box for trans-fats) and some reduced fat cheese. These are a great healthy snack (as long as you don't eat the whole box in one sitting like I used to) that will keep you full and digest slowly.

Remember that stress-related cravings are the HARDEST to beat so try to be prepared for them. Recognize what sets you off and have something handy for those moments if at all possible.

Good luck!
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-30-2011 - 9:15am
Ahhh, the pitfalls of emotional eating! I have been at the mercy of emotional eating for a long time. There are a couple of things you can do. 1. You can find substitute foods for those times. ID: Mineral Water instead of soda, healthier snacks. Or 2. Change WHAT you do during times altogether. Doing something else other than eat will be your best bet in breaking this cycle. But it's tough. For me, when I am angry or sressed it's the crunch that I want. So, I keep carrots on hand and try to reach for those if I have to. Cheese and crackers lik amethyst said is better than some things, but you are still high in carbs and fat. Cheese and apples would be a better choice in my opinion.

It's a tough cycle to break. Stay strong and let us know if you come with some better ideas for this since most of has have or have had this problem at one point or another.
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-30-2011 - 10:00pm

I am fortunate to not really like soda but I do love chips and bread.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-01-2011 - 3:09pm

Chips are my biggest challenge too.

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-01-2011 - 3:17pm

LOL - SJ, that is SO true that any bag of chips is a single serving, no matter what size the bag is!

I think I could still polish off an entire bag of Spicy Nacho Doritios and a whole jar of jalepeno queso dip, although I'd probably be sick afterwards.

Liz

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"