Taking the first steps of a long journey....

iVillage Member
Taking the first steps of a long journey....
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 2:33pm

Hi everyone :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 7:36pm

Hi Allie,

It's great that you want to make healthy changes in your lifestyle and I (along with the other members of iVillage) would love to help you and give you continuous support, encouragement, and tips to help you on your journey. The college lifestyle can definitely take a toll on one's weight with all the parties, the drinking, the late-night meals, the stress...it definitely all add up. Getting back on track may be challenging but it is definitely doable, even in grad school. I was helping a client who was also a grad student get back into shape. You just have to take it one day at a time. Find time to move whenever you can such as walking to campus and taking the stairs. Find time to exercise. If you need a buddy to exercise with, make sure they are motivated to working out. Find an exercise you enjoy such as swimming, aerobics, yoga, skating, biking, anything that will keep your body moving! It may be tiring at first but over time you will get used to it. Diet is very important but not those fad diets such as the no-carb diet or the all juice diet. Throw out the junk food and juices and replace it with veggies, fruits, quinoa, pistaschios, and lean meat. Larabars are great snacks! These foods may be a little more expensive but it's a way to invest in your health. I'm sure you've heard that eating 4-5 small portions every 3-4 hours is best. This is true. It keeps your metabolism going. Carry a lunch bag with you with healthy goodies to munch on throughout the day. Water is also very important! Try to keep a food journal so that you are aware of the food that you are putting in your body. I always tell my clients to keep one. Do not turn to food if you are bored, stress, frustred, angry or depresed. Always try to find another activity that you can do when you begin to feel these emotions. Keeping yourself active helps you release stress and keep the serotonin (what makes you happy) up in your body. This may all seem difficult at first but I know that your body will get used to it. Don't think of it as trying to be thin but living a healthier lifestyle where you would not only feel better about yourself but you will also be able to avoid the health problems later. You can do it!

Keep us updated with your journey! We would love to help you along the way!

Lisa G. www.lisagfitness.com
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 12:41pm

Hi Allie, and welcome to our board!

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"