Then God said, LET THERE BE INTERNET!

iVillage Member
Then God said, LET THERE BE INTERNET!
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 1:02pm

Hello again ladies! Some wise guy in our apartment complex decided to cut our cable cord outside so we've been without internet fo the past few days. It was kinda nice to get the extra quality time with DH and even get to bed before 3am! Did you ladies know there's life outside the internet?? Why didn't I get that memo?!?!? =)

All joking aside, here's what's been going on. DH was finally able to get in touch with the lawyer in WV and she scheduled him for a final dna test last Thursday. No snafu's this time around and now we're just waiting for the results. The hearing on the 24th is still scheduled pending the results of the test. We've got the money saved to drive up there and back if necessary but it'll unfortunately be in the current vehicle. I really hope my car can hold it together. However the other piece of good news is that he may be eligible to attend the hearing by phone but we're still waiting for a call back on that and I'm not holding my breath.

As for my weight loss, a friend of mine turned me onto the South Beach diet. I've been trying for almost a year to lose the weight my way and it hasn't worked very well. I keep losing and putting back on the same 5-10 lbs. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result. With that phrase in mind, I decided to step on the South Beach wagon after doing several days of research on it. Today is day 3 and so far I'm sticking completely with it. I also have a couple of new gym buddies so I've been getting my workouts in regularly. Unfortunately I pushed a little too hard yesterday (but i RAN!!!) so today and tomorrow have to be healing days for my leg but I'm right back to it on Saturday.

I finally found the Laughing Cow cheese but of course the Wal Mart supercenter where I shop doesn't carry them so I have to go to a seperate store just for one item. Mildly annoying but I do love the stuff! Being on such a strict diet has it's positive sides. I'm learning to cook quite a bit more and coming up with my own recipes. Today I made oven-baked turkey meatballs and substituted a wedge of laughing cow cheese for the usual breadcrumbs. Worked like a charm and added an extra flavor to it! DH is drooling to get to them but they're for our dinner at work tonight.

Happy Thursday everyone!

~Misty

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 10:02pm
It is amazing how time flys when your playing on line...

Good for you for trying a different eating plan. I think learning to control your food by preparing it yourself is a really big change that leads to results. And although it is work to cook for yourself, it really is more satisfying and delicious than fast food to me...takes some planning for shopping and prep time but knowing I have dinner waiting in the fridge definitely stops me from going to the takeout places where the intention of salad can be so easily overthrown by temptation.

Best wishes
SJ
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-11-2011 - 10:09am
Thanks SJ! I'm finding that as tiring as so much cooking is, it really is making me more aware of my food choices and how much better home cooked food tastes compared to fast food. I hope I can keep this momentum going.
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-12-2011 - 10:17am

Hey, sounds like you found something great!

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-12-2011 - 3:54pm

Hey Misty - good luck with South Beach.

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-13-2011 - 1:29am
Hey Liz. I thought South Beach was similar to Atkins too and then I did my research on it. South Beach has 3 phases. Phase 1 is the carb detox, which is the strictest part of the diet. It lasts 2 weeks (or however long you need it to) and is virtually no carbs. In phase 1 you concentrate mostly on veggies and proteins. No fruit, potatoes or anything sugary. Suger substitutes are ok. This is to flush all the bad carbs out of your system and try to get you adjusted so the cravings aren't as bad. This is also the phase with the quickest weight loss.

Phase 2 lasts until you reach your goal weight and is where you start reintroducing good carbs back into the system slowly. Whole grain breads, pastas, rice, etc. Phase 3 is the maintaining phase, which I haven't read up on much yet. The plan, as I've read about it in the book, is designed for a lifestyle change but the first 2 weeks is the most difficult to get through. Not only is the diet VERY strict (the only breakfast foods that are ok are eggs and tofu) but you can get a wide variety of cravings. I'm at the end of day 5 and I'm not craving anything right now, but last night was extremely rough for me.

I just started this diet so I don't know as much about it as the book could tell you. If you're interested you should be able to find it at the library to do your own research on it. That way you wouldn't be wasting your money buying the book if it's not something you want to do. Here's a basic outline of the phases and there's more information on the website if you're interested: http://www.southbeachdiet.com/sbd/publicsite/how-it-works/how-it-works.aspx

~Misty
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-13-2011 - 12:29pm

It sounds like it's really working for you so far (according to what you've said in your journal).

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-13-2011 - 1:00pm
It's working very well but my monthly showed up this morning so I opted not to do my daily weigh in to avoid possible frustration. Veggies are a key component of Phase 1 but salads are allowed so that's my veggie intake. DH isn't big on veggies either but he does like green beans so that's been his daily veggie count.

The trick with Phase 2 is to add the carbs back in very slowly. Once I get there, I've already decided my first add in will be my Fiber One cereal (I'm a little tired of eggs) in the morning and a banana in the evening. Phase 2 has to be carefully monitored to make sure you aren't adding carbs back in too quick and they aren't the bad carbs. The weight loss also slows down to 1-3 lbs a week (according to the book) so I may stay on Phase 1 for 3 weeks just to get the first chunk of weight off.

As for the Slim Fast, the book I have lists many things and tells whether they're ok or not for any of the phases. It said that a slim fast was good but the nutritional information listed in the book was wrong. I knew testing it out was a risk but I stayed completely on track the rest of the day so I still saw a loss, just not as high as I had the previous couple of days.

I can't say this diet has been easy to stick to but the fact that I don't have to count fat or calories does make it a lot easier. I'm journaling my food everyday in my notebook and on fatsecret.com, which is also made a lot easier by not counting everything in every meal. I can only imagine how much fat I'm ingesting daily between meats (lean though they may be) and whole eggs. But the fact that the weight is dropping off shows that calories and fat really aren't everything. Kind of puts a whole new spin on eating and weight loss for me.

I hope you're having a great weekend Liz. We miss you here during the week!

~Misty
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-13-2011 - 1:15pm

I wish I could access ivillage while I'm at work.