iVillage Member
Weekly weigh-in
Sun, 01-09-2011 - 2:18pm

Well, I'm down 1.5 pounds this week.

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-09-2011 - 10:27pm
Liz,
I will post my weight tomorrow but just wanted to say that I am thinking of all of you in Arizona - what a horrible and shocking thing to happen - it seems so senseless. But all I can think of is how the shooter was probably someone who needed medical help with a mental illness and how there is no such thing readily available in our country...not to excuse this in any way, but still, I think there will be more to learn before this story plays out.
Everyone here has frozen buns and brains...so I'm in for that tropical island

(((Hugs)))
SJ
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-13-2011 - 12:16pm

Hi SJ -

Yes, I agree completely.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-13-2011 - 9:43pm
Liz,
I am SO in agreement with you. I know that there is not a limitless supply of money, but when you look at what we spend on law enrorcement, courts, and the prison system, and what we don't spend on education and mental health services, you wonder where our values are as a society. And (I am a BIG supported of the military) but the money we have wasted blowing up the Middle East and klling people whose only mistake is that they live someplace where everyone with the sightest power wants to exploit them,,,it's just sad...When my brother came back from Iraq, he said something that has haunted me ever since. He said that we could win the war easily if we just sent enough soccer balls. That every time a soldier went out with a soccer ball, the little kids just lined up with big smiles to play with them. While he was there, so many people asked me what they could do for him, for his family, for me...I could have sent thousands of soccer balls....he wasn't actually in a place that he could give them out, but the concept to me is that if we just treated people with kindness and dignity and made sure there basic needs were met, we could save the world.

Although I have to say that the oddest thing I read abut the shooting in Arizona is that the shooter was upset because he got a B in Pilates class. I can't imagine how you could grade Pilates....

I hope that God really does have a master plan that makes sense to him, because not much makes sense to me...

SJ

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-14-2011 - 12:59pm
Congrats on the weight loss Liz! 1.5 lbs I know doesn't seem like much but a loss is still a loss. Easier said than believed, I know. I'd kill to see a double digit loss on the scale the way BL contestants do. But I also know a 1-3 lb loss is the most healthy way to go.

I know how you feel about the hot breakfast. I switched from cereal to oatmeal last week and I found a weight management variety pack I absolutely love. I use hot milk instead of water and it's really yummy. I combine it with a small glass of o.j. and sometimes a banana or apple slices. A container of yogurt with it wouldn't be a bad way to go either.

As for exercise, I found a page that gives you ideas for a workout and stretches you can do at your desk.
http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blofficeworkout.htm

If you don't like that one, you can just google "desk workouts" and look for one that works for you. I bring my hands weights to work and use them at random intervals. I also step outside of the gatehouse when I get a few free minutes and use the curb as a stepper. I try to do at least 50 at a time if traffic is slow enough.
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-16-2011 - 11:04am

Well, not the best results this week.

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-16-2011 - 7:18pm
I would try to find a not fast foos place and go out and have a one egg omelet with lots of veggies...or one scrambled egg and toast. It will still be a treat, and you'll get waited on instead of havingto stand in line at a counter and eat stuff that I always feel like was cooked hours ago.

Hope everything goes ok for your daughter.
SJ
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-17-2011 - 9:23am

I actually ended up not going for breakfast at all.