Weight Loss journey and Social Networking

iVillage Member
Weight Loss journey and Social Networking
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 10:21am

Just wanted to know how all you of feel about this. Do you post about your weight loss journey on Facebook or Twitter? Would you ever consider starting a youtube channel about your weight loss journey? I have a couple friends that post lots of stuff about how much weight they've lost on FB but I've been no chicken to do anything like that for fear of judgment! Are some things meant for private life? Should people know how far you've come? What about hitting a big millstone like losing 100 pounds? Would you post that on Facebook??

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2014 - 9:31pm

I think it's wise to share your weight loss success because it will inspire others to know that if you could do it, they can also do it. Most people lose weight because they were inspired by others. Cheers.

Get the Most Valuable Weight Loss Tips and Advise HERE!

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-28-2013 - 8:24am

You know, I have my own weight loss journal - it desciplines me a lot and keep motivated

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-23-2013 - 10:43am
I think every one of you brought up all the fears and concerns I have!! I have a private group on FB that is for just my two best friends to chat where no one can see it. I tell them a lot in there and its all so supportive. Other issue that I worry about is my friends that have posted in the past about great weight loss then seeing them online a year later having gained it all back. I have one friend like that. She posted a new pic a couple weeks ago and I was flabbergasted. Then I felt like crud for the judgment and shock I felt because its really none of my business what she looks like!! YOu know? I have another friend online that had weight loss surgery last year and she posts a lot about her weight and updates. Its very upsetting. I have to be honest it bothers me because she's way smaller than me in just a few weeks. I've had to really try hard to not feel negative about it all of the time. I am getting so close to lose 100 pounds and I've thought about how I'm going to celebrate that. One of the ways I thought about celebrating it is to post before and after pics on FB, but now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't.
Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-23-2013 - 10:30am
I don't post anything on Facebook about my weight loss journey. It isn't that I'm not proud, I totally am! However, I know that I have friends that are struggling to lose weight too and I'd hate to rub salt in the wound (does that make sense?). I've also thought- man, if they know how much weight I've lost, they'll know how much I weighed to start with, and I don't want anyone to know that!
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-21-2013 - 8:35am

I saw your conversation and wanted to comment as it really hits home with me. I have very mixed feelings over people sharing all the details of their weight loss journey on FB or Twitter. I like to read about it, but wouldn't do it myself. I personally do not share my weight loss with anyone as it only makes me feel worse. I already have enough negative feelings about myself without dragging other people into the conversation. People who know me already know I am struggling with my weight so I don't feel I need to advertise every intimate detail. I do like the anonymity of this site because no one knows me and sees me in real life so can't really judge me.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 3:40pm
I don't use any social networking...I like to be anonymous on line...but I am old....maybe you ould post about your new workout habits or healthy meals if you want to share?
Community Leader
Thu, 01-17-2013 - 1:22pm

I have been posting on Facebook when I reach a milestone, and have gotten nothing but postive feedback. But inside I think, why are you posting that you were fat!? You can't post that you lost 50 lbs without them knowing you were so fat!