What's on Your W/L Book List?

iVillage Member
What's on Your W/L Book List?
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 7:18pm

What weight loss books have you enjoyed? List anything from advice books, weight loss memoirs (yes there is a whole

Community Leader for: 100 Pounds of More To Go!!
Gotta do it. Gonna Do It in 2012!
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-27-2011 - 9:15pm

This is not really a weight loss book but a book that helped me a lot when I started this journey was 'Simple Steps'.

It was a 10 week program where eevery week you added four new habits which were related to weight loss, money managemetn, orgainzing your house and taking care of yourself.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 10:12am

I've recently read "Women, Food and God" which was a very interesting perspective on why we become over-weight and why we seem to struggle so to take the weight off.

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:48am
BUMP! Someone was asking for book recommendations and I wanted to bump this one up and I'll add some more to the list in just a few minutes.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:59am

This is a copy and paste from some info I gave a memeber on here a few months ago. I still really like all of these books. 

I have to admit I read health and diet advice books. I take them with a grain of salt!! I never believe every single bit of advice but they keep me motivated and gives me good ideas on sticking with my core program. I try to be selective with what I read. I started reading a book by Dr. Phil that seems very reasonable thus far. I also have a book by Bob Greene about dealing with emotional eating and setting a good plan for weight loss. I've also read this year a very medical approach to weight loss by a MD. he uses a very very slow approach to WL but its very good info for understanding what is actually happening to the body as it gains and loses weight.

The Ultimate Weight Solution by Dr. Phil

Make the Connection by Bob Greene. I also want to get the follow up book by Bob Greene called Keep the Connection

Break Through Your Set Point by George L. Blackburn, MD

I also read weight loss memoirs! (Don't laugh! LOL!) I find them so motivating and interesting. I've read:

The Amazing Adventures of Diet Girl by Sauna Reid. This gal lost a ton of weight in her 20's. She also keeps a blog about her journey. It's very touching and funny at times! 

Ruby's Diary: Reflections on All's I've Lost and Gained by Ruby Gettinger. This is Ruby from the TV show Ruby on the Style Network. Just a very sweet book. I just love Ruby! 

Believe It Be it. By Ali Vincent. She was the first Biggest Loser women to win the show in 2008. Loving the book so far. I've also ordered Working It Out: A Journey of Love, Loss, and Hope by Abby Rike. Abby was the lady on Biggest Loser in '09 that had lost her husband and her children in a car accident a few years ago. Then she went on the Biggest Loser and basically got her life back after losing weight. I can't wait to start reading her book! 

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 10:14pm
When I saw this thread, I was going to recommend 'Simple Steps' and I guess I am consistent because I see I recommend it when the thread was first posted!