Where does one start???

iVillage Member
Where does one start???
Fri, 12-31-2010 - 10:54am

Where does one start when they have so much weight to lose. I weigh in at 325 pounds. I feel like I am carring another person. But I am at the point that I know something has to be done. So I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the following :

* Keepng a food journal.

* Cutting calories by 100 or more combined with exercise. To prevent weight gain 21 minutes or more. To have weight loss 32 to 60 minutes. (I am 325 pounds and give out of breath just by going up a flight of steps.)

* Eating 3 small meals and having 3 low calorie snacks. Don't skip meals and eat every 3 to 4 hours.

* Portion Sizes (do you know what the correct portion sizes are)

* Reading food labels.

* Get 5 servings of fruit and vegetables everyday.

Tina

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-31-2010 - 9:02pm

Welcome to the board!

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-01-2011 - 7:32pm

Great advice, thanks so much!

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-02-2011 - 12:42pm

Hi and welcome to our board!

SJ covered a lot of what I would have said, so I won't repeat a lot of that.

"Never run faster than your guardian angel can fly!"

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-03-2011 - 9:18am

Thanks for the advice, it is really good.

Tina

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-08-2011 - 2:27am

I think the place to start is by spending a little time communicating with yourself.

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-09-2011 - 1:42pm

Hi Tina and welcome! I realize you posted this almost 2 weeks ago so I'm a little behind here and I'll try not to repeat what's already been said. I too was 325 lbs when I started making changes and let me tell you, it's probably one of the hardest things to do. When starting out, make small changes gradually. I've learned that if you try to do too much, too fast that it becomes very overwhelming. Being overwhelmed leads to stress, for a lot of us stress leads to overeating and then you're back at square one. My advice is to first work on increasing your water intake. If you already drink a lot of water in a day, that's GREAT! If not, try to get 8-10 eight oz glasses a water in your system a day. When you aren't used to drinking it, that much water seems like a lot. I learned to kind of sneak it into my system. For example, I take a bottle of water with me when I drive somewhere. Everytime I reach to change the radio station, I see it there and my body naturally craves it so I take a swig. Or when you wake up in the morning, you usually have a bit of dry mouth right? Keep a glass of water next to your bed so you can sip at it when you wake up. Water cleanses your system naturally and, believe it or not, helps you lose weight as well. It doesn't do much for weight loss by itself but combined with other steps, trust me I've tested it. It DOES work.

As for the journal, if you can keep up with it, it's a wonderful tool so you can visually see at the end of the day what exactly you put in your body. There's never anything wrong with cutting calories but make sure you do it right. By this I mean don't starve yourself. Reaching for a banana instead of those cookies shaves off both calories AND fat out of your day, as well as gives you a boost in your metabolism and energy! Having smaller meals periodically throughout the day is, in my opinion, the BEST way to go because your intake of nutrients is spread out more evenly and it most definitely helps to curb random "flavor attacks". Portion sizes and reading labels go hand in hand, both while shopping and cooking. Invest in a food scale if you have the ability. Always, always, ALWAYS keep in mind that your eyes are bigger than your stomach. When dishing out your meals, take smaller amounts than your eyes tell you that you want. Once you've eaten what's on your plate, give your body about 10 minutes for it to actually reach your stomach. Only then can you really gauge whether or not you're still ACTUALLY hungry.

Just to quickly touch on the exercise side, ANY extra movement burns calories. I still weigh above 300 lbs and I can't navigate a flight of stairs without being out of breath either. (I'm also asthmatic and a smoker, which only makes it worse.) Stretching, taking your dog around the block an extra time, doing a few squats while cooking dinner... it may be small but it ALL helps burn calories. Again, add some extra activities into your daily life slowly so not to overwhelm yourself. If you can, try to take a 15-20 minute walk once or twice a week. Once your body gets used to it and it becomes habit, take a longer walk or try to do it 3 times a week. The thing to remember is that you're trying to break old habits and form new ones. As one of the other ladies said, it won't happen overnight. You have to have the strength inside you to say to yourself, "I CAN!" instead of "I can't" or "I don't want to".

I wish you the best of luck and hope you'll stick around and keep us updated. Being that we're around the same weight (I'm 320.8 as of last Monday) we could be weight loss buddies if you want one. Anyway, take care!

Misty