Roofing 101

iVillage Member
Roofing 101
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 11:38am

Search is failing me and I can find nothing about roofing - whether it be choosing or installing - so a new thread is in order, yes?

iVillage Member
In reply to: thatyank
Sat, 11-10-2012 - 12:17pm

I said this back in 2011! And I still can't find a thread on roofing. Even this one seems to have stopped short of information... but here is a little info for you...

Have you ever considered a metal roof? They are getting a lot of commerical coverage on television around here but we still opted for shingles with a 50-year warranty, figuring we'd be long gone before THIS new roof needs replacing!

Anyway, a little something on metal roofs...

Trending Now: Metal Roofs
Metal Roofing
by Rebecca Thienes Cherny

Not just for barns or cabins any longer, metal roofs are enjoying renewed popularity. Here are ten stylish reasons why.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-15-2013 - 10:01am

THIS WEEK ON BOBVILA.COM

Should You Repair or Replace the Roof?

As you conduct spring maintenance, take a good long look at your roof. There may be damage to repair after winter's harsh weather. If subject to ice dams, check your attic for signs of a leak. Also, locate and replace missing or loose shingles. If the installation is older or has been seriously damaged, you may have a difficult choice to make between roof repair and replacement. If you've decided on the latter, be sure to consider all options, from asphalt shingles to metal panels.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-08-2013 - 11:08am

Composite Shingles for a New Era

The Great Pretenders
by Joe Provey

Emulating the look of slate and wood roofing, low-maintenance composite shingles are more reliable than ever before.