Collection Agency

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-26-1998
Collection Agency
Fri, 02-14-2014 - 2:46pm

I have some medical debt that I forgot about its about 1.5 years old and the doctors office wasn't charging me the right amount basically they ignored the Explanation of Benifits from my Health Insurance at the time which told them to only charge me a certain rate.  I was planning to call them and try  to sort it out but I forgot and now a collection agency has sent me a letter.  Should I try to deal with the collection agency or should I call the original doctors office I have the original bill and the doctors office contact info.

I really intended to pay it I just put off trying to sort it out for way too long. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Community Leader
Registered: 07-26-1999
Fri, 02-14-2014 - 5:02pm
I would start there. Give them a call and explain the situation. However, they may already have written off the debt and that's why they have sent it off to the collection agency, so don't be surprised if they tell you that you need to deal with the collection agency. They may be easier to work with overall, but it may just depend.
Community Leader
Registered: 08-25-2006
Fri, 02-14-2014 - 6:06pm

I don't see any harm trying the doctors office.  Sometimes you can get lucky if lets say, it has been less than 30 days since the sent it to collections.

But yea, don't be suprised if they can't help you.  

The good part is you know what the debt is for.  Sometimes the collection agency can't or won't tell you.  Then, of course, see if you can negoiate with the collection agency.  Either payments or if you can, a lump sum at a discount.

Good luck!