2012 Goals

iVillage Member
2012 Goals
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 11:01am

Hmmmmm it seems to be that time of year for looking forward and, I think, back to see how far you have come!

Lets see how things went for Karen in 2011

1. Business: Start paying down my Business credit line. Last year or maybe the year before it dawned on me that some of my stress was related to having a high credit line so I systematically came up with a plan to reduce it. Before I was just going to throw money at it I realized my land and building loan took a draw from my Business credit line every month and the expenses coming out of it were high as well. So I dropped my health insurance(3600 dollars a year!) and went on my BF's insurance with the kids and paid off that loan to stop some of the bleed. I haven't even used my BF's insurance yet this year! I do have dentist appointments booked though so Kate has me scared out of my mind lol! So along with putting personal flake money into my credit line and and not having these huge expenses so I should start to see some progress this year I hope.

I still believe in the logic behind this. However, I needed a new roof, took the plunge and now have around a $23,000 loan. It does add equity to my business and the loan was

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 3:31pm

Wasn't here in 2011 so I'm just going to post for 2012.

1. Pay off medical bills - hopefully all by June or so. Hospital bill will be half-paid by end of this month but still have others to deal with too. We're still waiting for a big check for some work dh did and that will help a lot. With that I can buy a new stove (yeah - oven is dead, etc)., pay off bills, take dog to vet for shots, put money away for car insurance, etc.

2. Start paying down credit cards. That will be harder but with tax return and then bonus end of March/early April it should help. And dh is working a lot this winter/spring. After swim season is over in February I am thinking of getting some sort of second job.

3. Start replenishing savings - which due to family crises got drained.

signature 
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-20-2011 - 9:18am
Kassie your post really resonanted with me. My immune system is shot and my ND is concerned that I'm on the path to adrenal burn out :( I have been taking supplements for the past two weeks, going to my naturopath and seeing a counsellor to try and learn better ways to deal with my stress and anxiety levels!

I don't know if I did 2011 goals, so I'll just do 2012 :)

1) Decrease debt by $10k this year. This is a lofty goal, but I'm sure its doable. My student loan is at $21,532.04 and my car loan is at $10,526.88. I have always had a 5 year plan to get out of debt by the time my car would be paid off (2015) so to keep on track I need to pay off about $10k a year for the next three years.

2) Figure out the basement apartment thing. The cost to do it was really high, however my quote was from a really expensive contractor. There may be potential to lower it by doing a lot of the work myself. I'm not sure. I am considered taking some of the equity from the house to do this (I have about $100k right now) so long as the value increase by finishing the basement is at least equal to what I borrow. Still on the fence about this though.

3) Get healither. I am using more of my health coverage for services like counselling and naturopaths. I need to get myself together asap!

Bex -

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-20-2011 - 9:50am
You guys should try to do high protein, low carb, up the B vitamins and add Echinacia to your mix. I have not been sick in a year, and have missed colds by both DH and my kids during their breaks as well as the first wave of office colds. In years past I would have been down the entire season.
Oh, I also eat a grapefruit every day - curbs my sweet tooth, and gives me vitamin C.
#Marie
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-20-2011 - 1:15pm
I'm actually vitamin B deficient so I am going in for injections (which is really great for someone who HATES needles).

I need to clean up my diet. That is what's killing me right now. I just have zero motivation/ energy to do it. But I'm hoping time off over the break will give me some time to decompress and really evaluate life (and get it together!)
The good news is that since I've started to listen to my body more and take the vitamins/shots, I'm feeling a bit better. More importantly though, I've missed the last wave of flus that took down my whole team!

Bex -

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-20-2011 - 2:08pm
Well I don't think I did 2011 goals which I am glad about b/c they probably would have been over ambitious and that would have been depressing. In 2011 I did manage to finish paying of our car. We paid a ton of $ in medical around 6000 which is kind of depressing but it is all paid off. For 2012 we have better insurance so higher premiums but hopfully less out of pocket.
2012 I would like to pay of the remainder of our bathroom loan which is at 6700ish.
Replenish efund to 1000 and add 100 a month
Increase retirment savings again when I am back at work
Flake 100 a month to mortgage once I am back at work
Make a will
Thanks everyone for your support this past year!.

Liz

student loan paid off 2010

Bathroom remodel loan paid off 2013

Pending Car loan to be paid by the end of 2014!!!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-20-2011 - 2:26pm

Bex - Would you be able to avoid the shots if you ate more appropriately or if you took more vitamins? That may be your motivation right there. You can tell us about it if it helps.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-20-2011 - 2:42pm
I don't metabolize B vitamins properly (or so the doctor saysI'm vitamin B deficient even though I take vitamin B daily :(
I'm sure once I start to get it together and eat better I will notice a difference, but for now I just have to suck it up and deal with the shots!! Yuck!

Bex -

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-20-2011 - 9:32pm

I hear you loud and clear Bex!

Kassandra

"It is said that life has its peaks and valleys.  The challenge is to accept them equally and experience them

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-20-2011 - 9:43pm

Thanks for the suggestions Marie :)

Kassandra

"It is said that life has its peaks and valleys.  The challenge is to accept them equally and experience them

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-21-2011 - 10:11am

I didn't post any financial goals for 2011 but I did develop and achieve some along the way:

• Achieved all the financial goals of my new business
  • Set aside money for 17yo DD's first two years of college.
  • Paid for landscaping of the front of our house.
  • Gave away the full amount of money that I had planned to charities.
  • Stayed on top of all medical bills and insurance (a real nightmare this year).
  • Got new health, disability, dental and professional insurance for my business and business partner.
  • Got long term medical care coverage for me and DH.
  • Made retirement investment decisions and carried them out.
  • Set aside the money for retirement each quarter that I planned and did NOT use it for something else!

My 2012 goals will be:

• Finalize the will that we had drawn up in November but haven't signed yet.
  • Retool the budget to reflect some spending changes
  • Set aside money for at least one more year of 17yo DD's college.
  • Revise our charitable giving to reflect our values even better.
  • Buy a used car for 17yo DD with cash.
  • Buy a NEW car for me!