2012 off to a poor start. :(

iVillage Member
2012 off to a poor start. :(
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 2:38pm

My DH forgot to pay our cell phone bill at the end of December. He went to pay it late today and didn't have enough money in his checking account to pay the full amount. He paid part from checking and part on our credit card that I never wanted us to use again. So he now has $0.09 in his checking and added $20 to our CC debt. I have only $19 in my checking account. We both don't get paid again until the 6th. :(

Great start to 2012. This is all a result of not tracking spending in December.

I was feeling so motivated earlier today - I had our pretty new January budget ready to go, a plan of attack for paying off debt this year, a masterlist of bill due dates so we'd always know what was coming. Now I feel defeated. No money in the bank the next few days is scary and a terrible feeling. I hope this is a lesson learned for my DH that we really do need to constantly track our spending.

I hate that it's only the 3rd day of the year and our debt has already gone UP instead of down.

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 2:56pm
We have been there. It really is a wake up call when u don't use credit and only cash and end up w/zero. We have had to use our line of credit due to "wants", "murphies" and maternity leave. It doesn't feel good and I am looking forward to a paycheck again.

Liz

student loan paid off 2010

Bathroom remodel loan paid off 2013

Pending Car loan to be paid by the end of 2014!!!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 2:58pm
Don't beat yourself up over it. In the chaos of the holidays it's very easy to miss something. The 6th is only a few days from now. Maybe try to make challenge with DH and have a "eat from the pantry" week and see what interesting meals you can come up with from your cupoards (you do one night and have DH do another and see which is better).

Try your best to hang on to the $19 dollars and on Thursday night if you still have it, send it to the CC so you are (almost) even again.

You can do this!

Bex -

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 3:01pm

Believe me........I KNOW that feeling.

Norma

"Patience is the best remedy for every trouble"- Plautus

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 3:03pm

Believe me, I KNOW that feeling.

Norma

"Patience is the best remedy for every trouble"- Plautus

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 3:16pm

I've been there too! My old computer broke and I used to keep track of everything with Quicken on that computer. My dad gave us his computer but it's an apple so my quicken software won't work so for the last 7 months I've gotten out of my routine of knowing where all of my money is and what's coming and going. A few weeks ago was the first bounced check we've had in years and I was so upset with myself. Sometimes you just have to use these experiences as a bouncing off point for doing better. It's a horrible feeling to know that you don't have a cent to your name. We don't have a single credit card to our name either so it's even scarier when we get to that point. Good luck and I hope the 6th comes quickly!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 3:50pm

AND that's why you come here!!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 4:22pm

Thank you all for your instant, awesome, encouragement and support! :) :) :)

The great news is I was WRONG! So things aren't quite so bad, but still pretty tight! My last purchase on my checking account was $19, not my balance. Phew! This is what happens when you check balances online in the dark of winter before your first cup of coffee. My balance was actually $84, so I transferred half of that to DH (same bank, linked accounts so the transfer is instant). Things are still much tighter than I'd like. DH is mad at himself for forgetting a bill for the first time (it's one he has always paid, so it's his responsibility, everything else I am in charge of).

We are sitting down tonight as soon as he gets off work at 9 to discuss where our next paychecks are going, where his bonus is going, our overall budget and goals for the month and year. Then from now on we'll talk every Sunday, even if it's only for a few minutes.

Thanks again for all the quick help and advice. I personally love the eat everything in the pantry challenge, I have no problem with that. DH however is the tough one. He gets very picky at times, and he's also a meat-eater where I'm a vegetarian so living on beans and rice is quite enjoyable for me but not so much for him, lol.

I love you all! :) And I'm not going to let this get me down!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 8:05pm

Sorry to hear the start of the year, even with the corrected accounting, isn't so great for you moneywise. We get some ups, but then come the downs that nobody likes.

I myself almost messed up. I am moving from credit cards to a debit card, and I almost charged groceries to the debit card before I moved money into that new account. Fortunately I caught it at the last minute before the charge went through. Otherwise I would be staring at a fine.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-04-2012 - 6:59am

Thanks poorboy, I'm really glad you didn't start 2012 with a fine! :)

Just wanted to let everyone know DH and I followed through and sat down to discuss finances last night. We have a plan on paper for the next 2 weeks and I'll keep us accountable. One big decision made is that all paychecks from my second job will go straight into savings. So that will be motivation to go to work for me - I can't wait to see all of my funds grow (medical, dental, car maintenance, etc). I feel very insecure with little money in the bank so growing our savings will be a big relief. I also let DH know that I will not quit the 2nd job until 2 of our debts are paid off.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-04-2012 - 8:19am
Oh goody, I love stories with happy endings!

Glad it all worked out for you iv_aingeal. I think part of this process is learning to roll with the punches. Sometimes debt repayment can be a roller-coaster ride! (But a ride with a big payoff in the end!)

Kate

empty purse

Pages