2013 Goals & 2012 Recap

iVillage Member
2013 Goals & 2012 Recap
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 2:16pm

wow, not only another month is coming to a close, but the entire year is winding down......

here is the thread for the 2012 goals:

http://www.ivillage.com/forums/home-garden/family-finance/debt-support-group/debt-discussions/2012-goals

I noticed some of the posts were incomplete, but we'll see what we can recover.

So - did you set goals in 2012? What were they and how did you do? Are you happy with your progress? If not, you still have a month to get happy, lol!

and what do you hope to achieve in 2013? Personal, financial and everything in between, share with us so we can support, encourage and cheer for you!

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-28-2013 - 5:53pm

edited

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-28-2013 - 5:51pm

edited

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-12-2012 - 9:25am

It took a while for DH and I to come to agerement on our goals.  I wrote my ideal goals for the year, he wrote his and then we went through them to see what was best for our family as a whole.

Put $500 a month aside for 2014 Grand Canyon rafting trip plus 1/2 of any gift money he and I receive-trip will be between $9,000 abnd $10,000 for the 3 of us 

Put $300 aside for other vacations plus any overage of budget from commissions

Pay off half of the car-use any tax refund to put towards also

Keep our grocery budget in check $170 week

Eat out no more than 6 times a month (includes lunches)-make eating out memorable-try new places

Stick to education  budget of $5,000 for the year for DS--plan wisely

Both of us need to get in better shape-still working on an exact plan 

Continue family night one night a week, game night on the weekend, and 3 date nights a month ( DH and DS, DS and myself, DH and myself)

Redo both bathrooms-hire out

Keep our retirement and college contributions where they are now will revisit and raise in 2 years when car is paid off

Keep EF at $3000-if dipped into replace before adding to vacation funds

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-03-2012 - 12:48pm

Yes Dee....but they are talking of taking away the tax advantage for mortgage interest.  In the same sense, they're still messing with what we bring home because we will have to adjust our deductions.  :(

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-01-2012 - 11:50pm

I don't think I posted any goals for 2012 but my singlular goal was to become debt free.  As of December 20 2012 I'll be 100% debt free :)  This was also the year that I relocated to join my now husband and we got married this past October.  In many ways 2012 was a banner year for us!

Goals for 2013

1. 1.  I have $25,500 of contribution room in my TFSA.  The goal will be to max out the entire amount! 
  2. 2.  DH & I need to save $5K towards immigrations fees.
  3. 3.  To be more consistent in working out.  I'd like to average a minimum of 3 days/week for 30 minutes each session.  I will start tracking this in January 2013.
  4. 4.  Increase my income by 10% over what I currently make.
  5. 5.  Do my part to nurture and strengthen our marriage and encourage DH to do the same.  We already have a wonderful relationship so I'd like for us to continue to work on that.
  6. 6.  Enjoy some of my income within reason and not be so scared to spend money on myself from time to time...pamper myself!

Kassandra

"It is said that life has its peaks and valleys.  The challenge is to accept them equally and experience them

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-01-2012 - 3:04pm

I posted goals last year for the first time but it cut off all of the actual goals...lol.

2013 Goals:

1) Pay off all credit cards remaining.

2) Start saving for a new-to-me vehicle with low mileage. Hoping to find something for < $20,000 with a 6,000-10,000 down payment. Hope to be able to make this purchase by the beginning of March.

3) Work on myself. Mentally and physically. I am unhappy with myself. This is not my normal state of being, so I need to kick up the mental breaks and the physical activity. I need to also take breaks with the big kids, as they are showing signs of resentment in my new path (they miss me and I completely underestimated how much they would react/act out).

4) Complete my MBA by December :) Although it is putting a strain on my family, slowing down will only prolong my absence.

5) Pay off aforementioned vehicle by December. This is lofty, but I think I can do it :)

JenAaron.jpg picture by jen2075

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-01-2012 - 12:54pm

Awww no idea on 2012 goals. Can we seach for the 2012 thread. I tried but it didn't work.

2013:

Increase net worth

Possibly pay off truck or drastically reduce the total on that loan

Increase savings  in the house fund

Increase other savings

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-01-2012 - 12:44pm

I did not set goals, at least on the DSG, for 2012 but I'm definitely thinking ahead to 2013.

My primary goal for 2013 is to pay off all our credit card debt. We need to do this because we will need to start paying on the college loans we took out for DD. She'll have loans of her own to pay back so this is really up to us. They are 10 year loans, but I intend to really ramp up those payments because DS is following closely behind.

Personally, I am trying to lose a total of 15 pounds. I've taken about 3 off and that has stayed off. Some days I'm a little lighter. I'm looking at my diet and exercise routine to see where I need to make changes.

In all aspects of my life, I'm trying to be more mindful: mindful eating, mindful spending, mindful communication. It seems to be helping so I intend to keep it up this coming year.

Didi

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-01-2012 - 8:01am

So, I know I set goals for 2012 but I can't remember all of them and they don't appear in the thread.  Bummer :(

I know one of my goals was to wipe out all but one of our credit cards.  We didn't achieve that.  Right now only one of our cards is paid off and while I'm bummed about that, I'm hoping this year will be better.

Goals for 2013:

1) Finishing paying off the cards.  I'm hoping we can squeeze enough money each month to get all but our highest balance cards down.  I truly think this is manageable.  Even if we can't squeeze the money out monthly I'm sure some of our tax refund will go to that.

2) Cut the loan on my car in half.  Right now we owe right at 10k on my car.  We've had this loan for an unspeakable amount of time.  We need to hurry up and get rid of it but I'll settle for half gone.

3) Continue getting regular exercise.  I have to do this for my sanity.  Not to mention that when I'm at the gym I'm not spending money.

4) Read more with my munchkin.  I've been trying to read a book a day with her this year and I was doing decently until this last quarter :-/

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2012 - 8:17pm

are you talking about the Bush tax cuts? the ones the news is always talking about expiring?

I'm Canadian but we get a lot information about your politics/economy/etc. I think they said Obama wasn't going let the lower tax brackets expire so hopefully they are right!

Dee

Pages