August 2012 Goals

iVillage Member
August 2012 Goals
Fri, 07-27-2012 - 1:09pm

Hey everyone! I just made my mortgage payment, and that always makes me think of this place and the goals we set every month.

How did you do in achieving your July Goals? Did you set any?

If not, join us in August so we can cheer you on!

iVillage Member
Re: August 2012 Goals
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 9:12pm
bump!
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 3:27pm
I'm calling a mulligan on my August goals since I hit it on the 3rd (efund fully funded at $1k) :smileyhappy:

My NEW August goal is to add $250 to my vacation fund and pay off $250 of debt. Going forward any extra cash will be half debt, half planned spending :smileyhappy:

Bex -

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 6:12am

Let's see...

July goals:

1) Continue with envelopes
~ I stuck with this for a good bit of the month.  I relied on my debit card a couple more times than I wanted to, but I'm getting better. 

2) Keep finding free or low cost things for me and DD to do.  I'm noticing that it's the little entertaining expenses for me and her that add up, like snacks out or little admission fees.  It's crazy!
~ This one was pretty easy.  We go to the library one day a week, we use our complex's pool and we also use the pool at one of the Y's I work at.  Hopefully it stays somewhere in the 80s so we can use the playgrounds a little more. 

3) Start paying a little extra on the cards and loans.  My pay is going to cut back in August, so I need to start trying to take some bills down now.
~ Didn't accomplish anything with this one.  In fact, all of our annual fees hit so we're dangerously close to the limit on some and over on others.  BUT DH said he shouldn't need any spending money this month (thank heaven) so we should get back on track here. 

4) Continue trying to keep our energy and water bills low.  Not much a/c and tv usage going on!  Limiting baths for DD too, every other day instead of daily :smileyhappy:
~ Another one that was relatively easy.  DD and I are out frequently so I turn the thermostat up while we're gone and keep it at 74 when we're home.  I've also got a laundry and dishwasher schedule down as well, go me!!

August goals...

1) Continue moving toward cash only.  I'm due for an oil change and it's going to be one big lump with nothing saved, so this is going to reinforce the importance of this.

2) FINALLY pay extra.  We have the money and payments worked out of the first paycheck already.  Once the second paycheck gets closer we'll have a better grasp on what we need to do.

3) Back to school shopping.  I need to start getting DD some new clothes for pre-school.  She's outgrown her current clothes for the most part.  :smileysad:

4) Workout/work clothes for me.  My clothes are pretty much stretched and shredded and I've been badly overdue for some new ones for awhile.  I may knock this out with DD's shopping :smileyfrustrated:

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 1:26pm

My goals for August are:

1) start preparing for school lessons (we are homeschoolers) to start again in September.

2) look into marketing myself (I do spiritual/alternative healing work) I have taken various courses and do healing work for family and friends (and their referrals) but have not actively pursued any new clients.  This will be on-going into September

3) paydown $700 on our credit line (car loan)

4) put as much extra into the Freedom Funds (mainly xmas fund)

Sandra

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 1:00pm
My goals are:
1) Increase the efund by at least $300 this month
2) Keep control of my spending, mainly by reducing the eating out budget (it's ridiculous how much BF and I spend eating out)
3) Increase the vacation sinking fund by $250

Bex -

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-29-2012 - 2:03pm

1. Create a realistic budget for the month.  (We have sort of just winging it lately, but it is time to start focusing again.)

2. Keep calm and carry on.  (Even though I just graduated with my BA, I have decided to take a medical terminology class in the fall.  Then I will look for pt work at a hospital in registration or something until I figure out what to do about grad school.)

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-29-2012 - 1:51pm

Lets see how July Went:

July 2012:

1. Have a baby, enjoy a baby!

I did I did! Lila Louise was born July 14th, 2012. Sweet little girl. We Are enjoying her. she has her Daddy wrapped around her little finger.

2. Keep organized with work and on top of everything.

I think this is going ok. The email address I set up for me to communitcate with my staff has been a stroke of genius and i have kept on top of my accounting, order, and things that just come up. I ordered more of things in case I couldn't make an order and everything has really worked out well. My A/C is acting up again. I have a verbal quote on a new one and just had the free on topped up so I am watching that carefully!

3.  Oh  I think that is enough.....lol!

August 2012

1. Start working out, even if I just walking if its not too hot. It has been super hot here! Start eating better.

2. Keep up with work and the baby

3. Don't think about actually going back to work yet! That is an order!!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-28-2012 - 1:30am

My July goals:

1. Have a baby. It's not fair that Karen & Jen are the only two that got to have babies. I want one, too!

FAIL! Apparently you need two people to make a baby.

2. Stay sane. Just what is it about those smart, complicated (i.e., troubled) women?

Not entirely successful. I have moved on from smart and complicated to smart, complicated, and married. Why is my timing so awful??? Fortunately, my head is slowly coming back to normal. I couldn't think very well for almonst a month.

3. Clean house. (This already did -- I am having some guests over, and that was a great motivation to get the place in shape. Goal achieved!)

Yay! Now my house still looks pretty clean!

4. Limit extra-budgetary spendings. It's all hobby stuff, so I should be cautious.

FAIL! Sort of. Much of this is equipment for the upcoming courses I'm taking. Going through a hard time and some heartache resulted in some poor judgment. Some of this stuff can be returned.

AUGUST GOALS

1. Get back on track keeping track of my debt. Even though I kept up with weekly accountability, I failed to do the once a month debt update for myself (this is for monitoring overall progress).

2. Control my spending. I really need to do this, especially since the fall will be expensive with a work-related trip every month. (Work is not paying.) But it's really hard when I hit some bumps on the road. I'm so utterly alone.