February 2012 Goals

iVillage Member
February 2012 Goals
Fri, 01-27-2012 - 1:03pm

Hello fellow board members! I bumped up the January 2012 Goals,,,,,how'd you do? There are still a few days in the month to accomplish your goals.

and set some new ones too.....share with us, so we can cheer you on & offer encouragement.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-25-2012 - 10:42am
poorboy2011 wrote:
  1. 1. Be positive. Love myself. Keep working, and work joyously.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-25-2012 - 8:14am

bump!

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 9:08pm

Now I can finally post my goals to this thread, because...

My goals for January:

1. 3. I just fnished my online dating profile, and hopefully I'll get to meet some people before too long. This would be a new experience.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 3:15pm
I'm going to keep on you. People that have cars just think of it as normal and you would too. I hate thinking of you as socially crippled. If you had a car for even a few months you would never go back. You wouldn't even think of what you had to give up.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 2:34pm
LOL, my goodness, I'm glad you stop yourself and simply go to the grocery store as planned! But I totally understanding wanting to get in a car and just drive away from it all. I've had those feelings!

Yes, you've exactly described how socially crippling not having a car can be. I turn down invitations because, even if there is a bus that will get me somewhere, I often can't handle having to take yet another bus ride to go out. After 3 hours of the bus commuting back and forth from work, I don't relish starting another 1-2 hour trek to meet friends.

If only cars weren't so expensive!!

Kate

empty purse

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 2:13pm

My January goals were:

1. 1.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 11:17am

I kind of get your situation, Kate. I was without a car for a long time. It was easy when I lived in a big city with good public transportation, where most people did not own a car. But once I moved away to much of the sprawl that is America, life became difficult not just practically, but socially.

It was hard for me to get to places to do errands. Now, in sizeable towns big shopping centers tend to have some sort of public transportation, even if not very good. But doctors tend to be located away from bus routes. It was also hard to maintain friendship. Most people in the sort of social circle I run in seem to expect me to have a car. When I got invited to gatherings I couldn't go. Hardest of all was the impact on my love life. Even in this enlightened day and age, the man is expected to drive, and I couldn't do that duty. That put a serious strain on my relationships.

Anyway, I'm no longer in that situation. I just have the pleasure of paying repair bills and paying for gas. Sometimes at night when I get into my car, I get the urge to just drive away. Away from all this. From a job that has brought nothing except a slow choking of my career. But then I drive to the grocery store like I plan to.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 10:07pm

I don't believe I had made up any goals for January so I'll list what I'd like to achieve in February:

Kassandra

"It is said that life has its peaks and valleys.  The challenge is to accept them equally and experience them

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 8:17pm
Kate, Thanks for taking the time to reply. In the US the licensing rules vary by state, but I don't think any are that stringent. I kept my license in force for all the years I didn't use it. When I was young, I needed it to drink...then I needed it to cash checks and to fly. Even though I didn't actually drive, my insurance counts me as a safe driver for all the years with no accidents on my record:). Car rental is based on age, not experience. The Canadian system seems more logical. I hope you can find a way to make your dream of a car come true. SJ
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 8:14am

Hi SJ,

Thanks for the note.

Kate

empty purse

Pages