January 2013 Goals

iVillage Member
January 2013 Goals
Sat, 12-29-2012 - 11:20am

here comes 2013!!! whether we like it or not :)

How did you do with your December Goals? Didn't set any? Join us in January with your financial or otherwise goals, we can support and cheer you on!

The more the merrier!

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-04-2013 - 5:05pm

My jan goals are pretty simple: Update my budget and flake to my target debt (LOC).

I received my first pay today with my pay increase, but it was retroactive to Dec 3 so it was higher than it would be. I did some basic math and think I will be getting somewhere in the range of $100 -$150 extra per pay (so $200 -300 per month)

I need to increase contributions to my sinking funds and then targret the LOC to get it gone.

FYI the goal is to target the LOC and knock off at least $4k this  year!

Bex -

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-04-2013 - 2:40pm

I didn't really have any financial goals for Dec (decided to give myself a break for the month since weI had met all of my 2012 financial goals by the end of Nov).

Jan (and going forward for 2013) - 

1) Increase our debt repayment toward the student loans from $285.85 to $2000,00 (and continue this monthly until they are paid off).

2) Cash flow 2013 medical deductions (starting with next week's dental appointments)

3) Slightly increase both our weekly E/F and Auto Maintaniance/Repair funds.

4) Order (for free) and review our credit reports

I'm hoping to hear something this month about whether or not Dh will get an annual bonus (fingers crossed . . . please, please, please)

Monday is my birthday.  Dh has agreed to take the day off of work (it's a comp day since he worked on the 1st) and work on insulating the kitchen floor and attice space above the kitchen.  We have all the material already.  It should be a WONDERFUL bday present (and hopefully will save us money on utilities).

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-02-2013 - 2:39pm

Wow, everyone seems to be doing well and setting some good goals.  I have to get back on the bandwagon this year as it will be really tight for us.

We had been paying off debts really well the last couple years until the latter part of 2012.  With two kids in college and mega cell phone and insurance bills, we are just sunk before we start.

The worse thing that happened is that DSS's beater car we gave him had transmission issues over break.  Didn't help that he decided to go visit a girl about 400 miles away over the break, using his old car.  DH bought a new pickup, but had not yet sold his older pickup truck (2006) so we decided to sell it to DSS, with a $2500 match deal that we did for DD earlier this year.  So now the 19 year old without a job is driving a 4x4 pickup in really good condition and we will hope he gets a job this summer to start paying us back, but I am not holding my breath as this is the child who still does not have a college job after 2 years and only made $900 last summer.  He does not like to get up before noon, you see, or even stand in a line, and could someone make him a resume, please?  (Sorry, venting.)

I did pretty good with holiday spending, less in debt than every before, but I did use a couple credit cards so they would keep the lines open.  Fifth Third just sent a notice that they closed my card since I had not used in in three years.

Goal #1:  Get bills paid this month, minimum on debts, as house insurance is due, as are cabin taxes. 

Goal #2:  Get house refinanced.  Been dancing on this one since October, and we are now approved.  We can complete this month, but our payment will increase as we are going from 21 to 15 years and including escrow we never did before for taxes and insurance.  Taxes are paid until September, but see Goal #1 as house insurance bill needs to show as paid prior to refi.

Goal #3:  Keep the budget tight.  Use return bottles and holiday gifts money for groceries. 

Goal #4:  Keep my educational trip costs to a minimum.  It will be nice to walk around in warmer weather, and I do need this trip, but we need to keep the extra travel costs really low as DH is coming with me at my expense.

Just feeling like year 5 of this debt repayment is the hardest yet.  We have paid off over $100,000 of CCs, mortgage, cars, and my student loan, but there is still a bit of a mountain to climb. 

-Marie

#Marie
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-01-2013 - 10:26pm

Today is January 1. I spent the better part of the day figuring out a budget for the whole of 2013. I was pretty sucessful and wanted to share my goals for  the month of January:

1) Purchase a new-to-me vehicle for cash. I have my eye on several different ones that I could easily purchase, but I want to pick my perfect vehicle (low mileage and good quality).

2) Finish up my RMA and RES designations so that I have the freedom to work anywhere in the state/country if I need to :)

3) Keep up with my newly created budget.

JenAaron.jpg picture by jen2075

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-01-2013 - 10:26pm

Today is January 1. I spent the better part of the day figuring out a budget for the whole of 2013. I was pretty sucessful and wanted to share my goals for  the month of January:

1) Purchase a new-to-me vehicle for cash. I have my eye on several different ones that I could easily purchase, but I want to pick my perfect vehicle (low mileage and good quality).

2) Finish up my RMA and RES designations so that I have the freedom to work anywhere in the state/country if I need to :)

3) Keep up with my newly created budget.

JenAaron.jpg picture by jen2075

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-01-2013 - 3:42pm
I didn't have any December goals as I hadn't been on the board in several years, but now that 2013 is here I'm jumping back on board. 1. Write down EVERY penny I spend. 2. Finish paying off the balance on my credit card, currently $810.24. 3. Work as much overtime as I can.

~leanne

deciding to be happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect, but that you had decided to look beyond the imp

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 4:58pm

Ugh. I can't even think about my December goals. Not my financial goals, anyway :).

For January, I will have one goal: to come up with a budget for the year. I know we make enough but we are so often caught un-awares and that tells me we just don't plan enough in advance. 

January goals:

- Develop year-long budget

- Pay everything on time

- Don't add to our debt load at all

Didi

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-31-2012 - 10:27am

Goal #1 - Stick FIRMLY to my Christmas Budget!  Doing good so far.  I have $470 left and enough money to do all the shopping except for DH & myself.  He is suppose to cover that part.  

Goal #2 - Finish paying my employer the $100 I owe for purchasing some fencing at Home Depot.  I can do this easily.

Goal #3 - Watch that darn food budget closer.  It's been horrible lately.  DH is not traveling as much and working from home.  I think he eats more than the horse and six dogs combined!  

Take care everyone!

December 31, 2012

Goal #1 was accomplished on my part.  I stayed within my alloted budget.  However, hubby only came up with $60 for both our gifts... Oh well, I am an adult :)  

Goal #2 - I only owe my employer $14.49, which I will finish this Friday.  I could pay it today, but I'm very tight on my budget and need to wait until hubby gets paid on Thursday.  

Goal #3 - This food budget is still the going to be the death of me.  I cooked a lot from scratch the last couple of weekends and DH has pitched in helping purchase some things that we run out of between grocery trips every other week.  He starts traveling a lot in January and that will help a lot on the food budget. 

JANUARY 2013 GOALS 

#1 - Pay all medical bills as they come.  I have three doctor appts. in January.  One has a $35 co-pay another has a $50 co-pay and I have a mammogram that the insurance will only cover the mammogram and not the follow up ultra sound that I always have to have extra.  Bummer....insurance stinks.  

#2 - Try to save as much money as possible for the efund.  Due to the number of paychecks I hope to save at least $1,000.  Wish me luck!

#3 - Try to stay happy....this is sometimes a struggle.

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-30-2012 - 9:35am

January Goals:

400.00 flake to Kohl's card

Pay in cash for family pics....clothes and pic cost

Have $ left over from blow money

Work a extra shift this month above my normal overtime ;0

Gather tax info

Michelle

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-29-2012 - 9:30pm

I only have one goal for January: get back to keeping track of my spendings on a weekly basis. 

I am not expecting to make progress, since I have crowns and other medical expenses, not to mention business trips. But I can take the first step towards getting things back in control.

Pages