Prepping for the Holidays 10/16

iVillage Member
Prepping for the Holidays 10/16
Sun, 10-16-2011 - 9:44am

More than a month has zipped right by since the last thread I posted about the Holidays, time is flying! even more reason to do as much preparing as we can for the upcoming season!

Do you have your list of gift recipients together? Keep in mind, this list doesn't have to mean you are buying everyone a gift. Maybe it includes people you are going to bake for. It costs less money, but your time is valuable.

Next to your people on the list why not write down a dollar amount (if they are going to receive a gift) or a bake item, write down any ideas you have. Are you crafty? Maybe it's something you will make for them?

I find it the list helpful, so while I am out & about over the next few weeks, maybe I will see something on sale that I had on my list? Or, if you plan to bake, look for coupons, pick up the groceries you need for these type of gifts. Most of these items have a long shelf life.

So, once you've got your ideas.....where the HECK is this money supposed to come from? Do you have money set aside for the Holidays? If not, there are creative ways you can get some.

How about, selling some items on ebay. There is still time to sell stuff, get paid and then shop with your proceeds. Ebay isn't for you? You can sell some scrap jewelry. Do you have credt card reward points to redeem? Do you have any other membership rewards to cash in? Do you have gift cards that were given to you that haven't been used yet? Or that you have no desire to use? You can spend them on someone else, or just regift the card.

Say you have no cash, no scrap jewelry, you're not crafty and just the thought of the holidays makes you want to crawl under the covers!!! If you have people in your life that you still want to acknowledge at the holidays, make it in a spend free way. Why not make homemade coupons? Give your parents a gift of your time, run some errands for them. What about giving your best girlfriend an in home manicure? Think about the people in your life and what would make them smile.

And if it comes down to not being able to, or just not wanting to (you have that right you know) give anything to anyone, take the pressure off yourself and send a note to the people in your life that expect things from you, and tell them. A simple, "I am cutting back this holiday season and am going to exclude myself from exchanging gifts this year. I hope we can still celebrate the season together in other ways" Just calling someone to wish them a healthy & happy season is gift enough. You never know the person receiving your note might breathe a sigh of relief, they may have no money either and have been trying to figure out what credit card they can use to charge everything.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-16-2011 - 1:56pm

Here is where we are for holiday prep:

Kids are done other than some puzzels for DD and I'm planning on picking them up at Sams as they have a really nice set. I got Gideon free toys at Toys R Us this past week, so that was good ;-) And thier x-mas eve jammies

MIL and FIL are done, as when we were at thier house in September we did pictures with our nieces and DHs brother. Our half was thier X-Mas gift. I'm going to have Carolynn paint them a picture, that will be free as I already have the canvas, and paints.

Neices, Some babies will do. Or a craft project kit. Something simple.

Still need to get for my brother, and have NO CLUE what to get him. I'm thinking a photo book of him and kids.

My parents, are getting a photobook of the kids.Which I need to make yet, at Shutterfly, but I have a 10% off coupon, and a lot of the times they have sales so that will work out great!

And each other, which who knows at this point!

We aren't going to be doing much around the house for dectorating, as we are moving shortly after. I still will make cookies, and some candy. I'm going to be sending some to one of my BFF in Afganistan. But other than that we are good!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-16-2011 - 3:07pm
I have a tight budget. Fifty for each kid or sixty forty. The baby wont care. Ive already gotten melissa and doug kits, puzzles and books that should do it.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-16-2011 - 10:22pm

I'm just not thinking about the holidays yet except for wondering if I will take a day or 2 off from work during that time.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 3:20pm

I have money set aside for Christmas....it's just too early for me to start stressing over spending it.

Norma

"Patience is the best remedy for every trouble"- Plautus

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 7:04pm
Norma,

What do you have to bake for DHs work gifts? I may be able to make something or extra of mine and send it up to you! This is if I know how to make what you need. DD loves to help bake and cook.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 5:33am
I don't know if it's my Mom's cancer or just my stress levels, but I'm having a hard time getting my mojo for Christmas this year. Normally I'm crazy for Christmas - but not this year.

I've got a healthy sinking fund for Christmas and I've reworked last year's spreadsheets and lists for this year -- except I cannot think of gift ideas. Usually I'm brimming with ideas, but this year I've gone blank. What do you buy elderly people who have everything they want except their health? Or my X-DH who is quickly running out of money and is approaching a scenario whereby he might lose his house? Or DD who is feeling so stressed, she can't think of anything she'd like as a gift except anti-depressants?

I seriously think we're a family who needs a Christmas miracle.

Ugh, sorry to gripe. I find myself in the weird position of plenty of cash and no solutions. I've never been in a situation where money was not the main problem.

Kate

empty purse

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 11:16am

I've already made my list and am going to try and be as frugal and homemade as possible.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 12:20pm
Kate I`m sorry you are down about all those things. Perhaps this is our slump year, I am down about things too. We need a cheer up day!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-18-2011 - 11:55pm
Just wanted to send you some ((( HUGS )))
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-19-2011 - 12:28am

Sorry for all the pain Kate, so awful.

Pages