Talk about a 180' turnaround!

iVillage Member
Talk about a 180' turnaround!
Mon, 03-26-2012 - 2:05pm

I am thinking of NOT going back to work!

#Marie

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 9:35pm

I would suggest that starting right now, live on your reduced income (what it will be when your current income ends).

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 3:13pm

Like Marie, I have worked since I was 17 yrs. old. Only breaks for surgery or maternity leave.

Norma

"Patience is the best remedy for every trouble"- Plautus

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 2:16pm

Well you still have some time to think things over . . . and crunch the numbers . . . and test run your new arrangment . . . and crunch the numbers again . . . and then decide.

I do have to say that I've had extended periods of working AND extended periods of not working.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2012 - 9:04am
Good points to consider all around and I truly appreciate your humblest opinons. I mean I would not be going to NO income, I still teach and the company that used to work for me may have contract work I can do from home. That would probably replace about half of my take home income, and we would pay less taxes as a contractor than employee based on how you allocate payroll and expenses (Dh was a contractor for years.)

We just found out we are getting over $4k in federal refunds, so I will drop that on debt and emergency funds next month.

Unlike most folks, I never have had extended time off. I went back to work less than 3 weeks after my daughter was born and that was the only time off I had had besides vacations. And I have worked two jobs most of my adult life, or gone to school and worked to get my Masters.

I am also pretty tired right now, but it is due to my gallbladder, which we found now has stones that are backed into my bile duct and causing all kinds of high liver counts, and white blood cell counts. This guy comes out Friday!

The budget I worked out includes spending money, truck savings for Dh - which he has been doing since his truck was payed off, my car payment rounded way up, over payments of that CC, college fees and no income from our little cabin we can rent out and hope to be able to pay all our taxes and insurance from this summer.

I would only get unemployment on a month I made less than $1600, as I think I would be looking for a job regardless, but I would not take something just because, as I have done in the past.
My issue is that I don't want to work the full time 8-5 at an office anymore, with the commute, etc. And DH does not want that either, so we are going to try to find ways to make it work for us.
-Marie
#Marie
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-26-2012 - 10:01pm

I think I know exactly what you are talking about.

And judging from your posts, I think our spouses make a similar income.

I've elected to stay at home for a good portion of our marriage.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-26-2012 - 8:56pm
Angela -
Well good news today was a nice tax refund that will help beef up our emergency fund! It will also pay our car insurance for 6 months, can't wait to get the kids off that at some point.
-Marie
#Marie
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-26-2012 - 8:49pm
No issue and good question. You must have a Masters, or PhD at some schools, in a subject area in order to teach (I have an MBA.) Along with the Masters they want at least 4 years of work experience in a direct subject documented in order to be able to teach it.
I have a major of my Masters in Finance, but because I have not held that postion in a firm, I can't teach it.
Just go to your local community college and ask what they need, that is the easiest way.
#Marie
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-26-2012 - 7:30pm

I totally understand where you are coming from, as I am there too!

Angela, Paul, Brigit, Adrianna and Buddy
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-26-2012 - 7:13pm

Hi!

I know this is a little off of your post, but I was thinking of teaching some courses either at the local community college or online.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-26-2012 - 3:36pm

I agree w/ Karen...give it some time.

Norma

"Patience is the best remedy for every trouble"- Plautus

Pages