What Method Do You Use to File Your Taxes?

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-24-2001
What Method Do You Use to File Your Taxes?
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 3:18pm

Apparently long gone are the days where the govt sent out tax forms w/ instructions.


iVillage Member
Registered: 08-24-2006
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 4:41pm
I always used to fill out the paper forms but for the last 10 years or so I've been using H&R Block's website. It's either been free or 20$ depending on how complex they are that year. I have no state taxes here.
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-28-2009
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 6:15pm
I have used taxact online for several years now. The fee this year was $17.95 for state and the federal was free. Very easy to use, good luck!
iVillage Member
Registered: 05-09-2002
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 7:00pm
We use an accountant because we itemize. For the price we pay for this service, we get more money back than if we did our taxes on our own. My husband has been using him for years even before we were married, had a house, etc. He knows all the tax codes and how to get us the most $ back without bending the rules. I didn't use him for the first three years we were living together, but the year we bought our house, I started to (we are now married but claim single/higher with holding rate) and kicked myself for not doing it sooner. (I did an estimate of what I expected to get back, but going to him, it doubled.) Granted, I have about 300 receipts to go through and add up before we go, but it is worth it. :) In the past, I have done the online Turbo Tax but I agree, that fee seems pricey without having someone do it. I have been to a tax place once but I feel like most times you don't get someone very experienced (not to be rude - I appreciate they are doing their job and overall a good one at that, but with a two family, school, volunteering expenses, my husband traveling 1/2 the year or more for work, we need someone more experienced for me to feel like it is worth our while and $$).
Avatar for poorboy2011
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-02-2011
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 10:17pm

Perhaps my tax situation is really simple, but I just download the form and the instructions from the IRS website. (Guess this doesn't apply to Canadians.) I fill out the forms on my computer as I read through the instructions for the lines that don't have the big zero. I print out the forms, and mail them by post. You know, envelopes and stamps. I even use First Class Mail. None of tha fancy Priority Mail stuff for me. This way I don't have to pay extra to file my taxes.

Those of you with a complex tax situation will probably want to find an accountant who can save you money.

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-24-2007
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 7:47am
In Canada, you are mailed the forms every year. I'm still doing my taxes on paper, and then I tele-file the numbers onto their system. I have very simple taxes (no kids, no home, no nothing!), so it's pretty much income minus retirement deduction = taxes. It only takes 15 minutes to input my numbers by phone.

But I have considered buying a program to make the process quicker [because every year I still do the calculations to see if I can claim any medical expenses -- nope, too small. Or my rent -- nope, too small). It's just hard to justify that expense when it only takes about 2 hours to do it by hand.


empty purse

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-17-2010
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 10:18am

We have been e-filing for about four years.

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-15-2005
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 11:07am
We are likely in a similar situation as yours. We don't qualify for any of the "free" filing sites. I've looked at many of the "free" sites, and they all have the income limitations...

We use TurboTax (have also tried TaxCut previously too) and usually end up paying about $50 for the software (with free federal efile) and then an addition $20ish to efile with the state.

The only "cheaper" way for you to go would be to go to the IRS site, print out the forms, and then fill them out by hand and proceed as you have in years past. You can still do that no problem, it just takes a little longer to get a refund if you are getting one. If you think you owe, as long as you postmark (with attached check) by April 15th, your good to go.



iVillage Member
Registered: 02-19-1998
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 5:10pm

We also use Turbotax online and pay the same as you above. I have been using it for about 7 years (with the exception of one year where we went back to an accountant). I have noticed its improvements over the year and especially last year I thought it had really gone up in accuracy and ease of use.

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-24-2001
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 6:39pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like it's just the way it is.

The sites mentioned all have an income cap for free filing that we don't qualify for.

Perhaps I will print off the forms, manually do them myself, and snail mail my return this year just to save myself $70.

iVillage Member
Registered: 07-24-2001
Sun, 01-22-2012 - 6:45pm

I think I read somewhere that this will be the first year in the US when the forms will not be mailed to people.

They are available at pubic places like libraries, or online only.

I guess times they are a changin'