Accountability 3/3/13

Community Leader
Accountability 3/3/13
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 2:45pm

I don't even know what I spent.  Groceries, gas and coffee (with a coupon).  

Me and SO both pitched in to buy a $3,600 car for me to drive while I try and sell my gas hog.  We are still undecided whether to even keep this car.  Either way, we need sell one of them pretty soon.  Probably should have waited, but really the worst case scenerio is to sell the car we just bought.  The turnover is crazy quick in this price range.   We missed out on probably 4 cars we liked because we didn't buy it on the spot. 

My gas hog, not so much.  Undecided

Serenity
Community Leader
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 4:06pm

I feel for you Serenity!  ODD was in a car accident 2 weeks ago and we knew they were going to total her car, but we're waiting to find out what they are going to give us for it.  Trying to find a good running car with A/C for under $3k is NOT easy!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-04-2013 - 5:56pm

I hope you sell the gas sucker. My truck is crazy on gas. We need it out here though . The storm today is crazy and no car would do I'm telling you. Not to mention we use it all the time as a truck should be used. Anyway, I hope that all works out. 

We didn't  spend  thing this weekend as I worked a lot. The baby has a cold and is sick and not  very happy so we bought some over the counter stuff for her.  I hope she kicks this fast, poor little thing. Also we need a costco trip this week(eye roll, we need the things but  my bank account  hurts after lol) and a couple of clothing items for the baby as she is growing fast!

On a positive note. I thought it was May that was a  three pay check month for DH but it turn out it is March. Oh we needed that!

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 1:31am

March is a 3 cheque month for both of us but it doesn't give the excitement it used to when it wasn't implemented into the budget! Laughing

Costco was way more expensive than I anticipated - $300 minus rebate.

We didn't end up going out Sat at all. DH was called into work unexpectedly so no dinner or babysitter. Then Sun there was an emergency and he worked 16 hours again. We can use the money so no complaints but it made for a dreary w/end.

I got the taxes done, food prepped, cleaning & school work done.

Dee

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 4:05pm

Just checking in myself.

I did manage to put $210.57 toward the SL debt (damn though Wells Fargo is a PITA! It's nearly impossible to get them to credit payments as principal only!).  I had to divert about $450 this week toward our short term sinking fund to pay our income taxes.  BUT . . . I actually have about $60 left over for discretional spending for this week, which is a lot more than I've had for a long time . . .

------

Our only debt (besides the mortgage) is the student loans.

Jan balance $24,769.96

Current balance $18,186.08

YTD Payments = $6,583.88  (I'm happy with this progress, but it looks like our payments are going to start slowing down now that I've put everything I could find from our end of the year totals toward this debt.  From here on out, it's gonna be slow . . . and steady . . . one foot in front of the other progress. . . )

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-05-2013 - 8:02pm
Bumbling, I wouldn't suggest this to everyone, but have you thought of taking a home equity loan to pay off the student loan? The interest rate might be lower, interest tax deductible, and you could stop dealing with the notorious Wells Fargo...
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-06-2013 - 4:30am

I'm late but I'm in the middle of a move, so... yeah, lol

I laid out a ton of money this weekend :-X, but some of it was needed.  I got DD a new bed and mattress ($520, but that includes delivery and assembly for the bed).  And I also got her a new chest of drawers ($150).

Sunday was DD's birthday party ($110).  And she had a good time with some little friends from school and dance class so, money well spent.  

I'm cringing at what this move is costing me though.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-06-2013 - 9:18am
This was possibly the spendiest weekend I've EVER had!! The good news is that it all came from my sinking funds. The bad news is that the sinking funds are depleted (but that's what they're there for right???) I took the clothes/hair sinking fund and bought some new work clothes. They were all on clearance with an additional 30% off but I bought far too many! With the spring jacket and boots I think I spent about $700 in total!!! So now I only have about $100 left in that sinking fund! I have to breath and tell myself that it was it is for, but I hate seeing balances drop :( Also had to buy more dog food and pay my copayments on some medications. Friday is going to be spendy too as I am hosting my family for my Mom's birthday. We're headed to a restaurant and I am taking care of the food (everyone is on their own for drinks). Its coming out of the gift fund. So all in all am expensive month, but its coming out of the sinking funds and my CC balance is still 0 with ongoing debt repayment (just no flakes for a while)

Bex -

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-06-2013 - 3:58pm

Happy,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Since I will be putting my house (back) on the market in the near future, I don't see this as an option.  I have considered paying off the SL with my regular LOC, but right now that open LOC is my only good saftey net (besides the $1,100 we have in the E/F).  

I've only just recently started to pay down the SL debt, and I'm still hopeful that I can find a way to better deal with Wells Fargo.  I recently sent them a paper check, in the snailmail with a real stamp (I haven't used this method for anyone in YEARS - lol) and included a letter with the specifics of how to apply the money (I even wrote instructions on the actually check and highlited them), and that worked! WF has no options for online principal only payments and their customer service via phone SUCKS!  But the snailmail worked . . . so I'm going to continue to do this to see if it continues to work . . . though I'll have to actually buy some stamps (used my last one, which I found at the bottom of a desk drawer) 

Community Leader
Thu, 03-07-2013 - 2:25pm
Bumbling, so I take it that you don't get a paper statement for your Mortgage? What a pain if there is no easy way to do principal only. I still get a statement everymonth that if I chose to, has a spot just for that.
Serenity