Accountability Feb 03, 2014

iVillage Member
Accountability Feb 03, 2014
Mon, 02-03-2014 - 9:31am

Hey everyone! How did the weekend go? Was it pricey or frugal this go around? Let us know how you did!

It was pricey here. We had a pizza making weekend this Sunday. I owe $175 to my sister in law but will get so many ready made pizzas at a great price and don't have to cook so many times. Very worth it! Just have to pull that money out of the grocery budget some how. 

I have a wicked head cold and have to take my three day course for work starting tomorrow. Timing could be better. But it could be worse. Hopefully I will feel a bit better tomorrow!

Have a great week everyone!

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-05-2014 - 4:31pm
I know....but dang it....$60 ....threw away like trash!!!! Lesson learned....never trust a cable company.
Community Leader
Mon, 02-03-2014 - 6:38pm

Let's see....about $60 on Superbowl Sunday.  Went to Safeway, but only got what was a really good price (like cheaper than Winco or Walmart) and no more than that.  Extra gas points right now if you spend over $20, so I will probably go back and get some more sale items while the promotion is going on.  Oh, I think the promotion might be a Just 4U, so you have to load to your card.  

I spluged on Starbucks in Safeway.  Grande latte's only $2.00 this week, couldn't pass it up!  

Norma:  Oh gosh, I hate it when stupid things happen (I ran out of gas last week, dummy, dummy, dummy)   A few years ago, I had my phone turned off and I had been ignoring the calls thinking the payment had just crossed in the mail!  I had all my figures wrong on my bill pay and totally forgot the house phone.  Kind of like mailing the Phone bill check to the Cable company.  

That is why I also hate automatic withdrawals.   Well, I should say that if I had a HUGE cush it would probably be wonderful!  Oveall I prefer to have control.  Life insurance is the only ED I have.  

Anyways Norma, it happens to all of us.  

Serenity

Serenity

Serenity
Community Leader
Mon, 02-03-2014 - 2:42pm
Hugs Norma!! I think it was an honest mistake, if the cable company told you they were taking out the lower amount then that's what you expected. That is one reason I don't do auto withdraws, there are only 2 bills we do on auto withdraw because it can't be avoided. I like having the control over the rest.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-03-2014 - 2:22pm

Sorry for the crummy cold Karen, my son & grandson have been very sick too.  A lot of stuff going around. 

I am here to confess.  I done a stupid stupid thing.  Fifty lashes for pulling such a bone headed move (or lack of action). 

I called my credit union and opened a third savings account and called it "Emergency Fund".  We already have a regular savings and Christmas savings that are tied to the checking account so that if I make a mistake in the checking and overdraw, money can automatically be transferred for a very small fee to avoid a draft or check being returned insufficient.  Dumb dumb did not tie this new account to her checking account.  I knew my account was in balance, but running very close.  Comcast cable had bargained with me to reduce our bill by $30 a month.  They told me my next bill would be $71.  Nope, the draft came out for $112 instead, so guess who's electric bill bounbed like a rubber ball?   The same.....EXACTLY same thing happened last March.  Comcast took out a larger amount and caused my electric bill to bounce last March.  The penalty was STIFF.  $35 charge by bank, $25 charge by Electric company. PLUS......I have to pay my bill with cash "only" or money order.  No check, no debt card or nothing.  The cable company did lower next months bill by $60.  Too late....damage has been done.  I am peeved at myself and the cable company. I have always paid everything by automatic drafts and hate that this happened.  But I had robbed all of my regular savings and had not started my Christmas savings yet, so there was no money in those to accounts to transfer to avoid the problem.  Crackers I'm mad at myself.

Other than this piece of bad luck, I stayed home and got a lot of cleaning & laundry done.  Hubby returned from his Florida business trip exhausted and thank goodness brought home some warmer weather with him as it was almost 60 degress Saturday. 

Lesson learned.  :P

Community Leader
Mon, 02-03-2014 - 10:18am
We did decent. We had to transfer money over the week before, so we were super conscious this week to not touch the bank account if we didn't need to. I normally take out $60 for spending money each week, but I didn't take any out last week. DH had done a job for cash and gave me $20 and I got through the week with money left, which I added to my weekly savings envelope. The weekend was good, we didn't do anything at all. I got groceries yesterday, oh and I did go get a pedicure with some left over christmas money. I needed a pick me up of sorts and this ended up being just what was needed.
Photobucket