Accountability Jan 20, 2014

iVillage Member
Accountability Jan 20, 2014
Mon, 01-20-2014 - 9:23am

Hello all! I have a Monday off! How did your week/weekend go? Did you stay on budget or overspend?

We had family in from out of town and spent some  unplanned money on booze. Does that ever happen to any of you? Not that we get a lot of company...and we knew they were coming so the food was planned for somehow but not the booze. And I work at a liquor store!!

Oh well, No money spent of the coming house this past week. I did get the meaurements for the bar stools now though so that could change. I had three days off in a row and now will work six in a row so perhaps that will save me.

I have been cooking my brains out lately but none of it seems to last in my fridge. It just goes so fast. I am trying to do more baking for lunches instead of buying junk. I think they are just eating more. Oh those teenage boys and husband. Even the baby (18 months now) eats a lot. Crazy town!

We need to get more quotes from contractors but one part of our process we are waiting on is holding us up. I hope that materializes soon!

So back to eating a little less for me this week. Stupid scale! 

Have a great week everyone.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-22-2014 - 3:47pm
Darn hot water froze in the bath room AGAIN last night......I am so OVER winter. A low of 5 degrees with a strong wind last night. We will not be above freezing until the weekend. SPRING.....where are you?????
Community Leader
Tue, 01-21-2014 - 9:52am
I was off work yesterday. We did decent last week, we took the girls to the circus on Sunday and I took the middle girl out to a movie and some light shopping yesterday. I didn't spend much, this week is going to be tight though. i am doing my darnest not to take any money out of savings to account for DH not getting paid the first week of January, but I may have to end up transferring a bit over if not this week, next week.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-20-2014 - 6:18pm

Didn't spend too much this weekend- waiting for payday on Wednesday. Dh picked up his new glasses - they look good and very happy insurance paid for 40%.  Also had followup for dd at dentist - insurance had paid for first visit although I expect it won't for the next 2. 

signature 
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-20-2014 - 2:48pm

So far so good on staying on budget.  I did go on my lunch hour and purchased a roll of insulation for the garage.  We had a water pipe to freeze last cold spell.  We wrapped it very well, but could not purchased a roll of insulation in our little town.  We'll reinforce the garage opening tonight so the pipes will never freeze again (if it dare's to hit ZERO again!! 

Things are going great.  Work is picking up so it doesn't look like I'll get laid off.  Still planning on retiring in 6-8 weeks.  So excited.  Health has been fairly decent too for the past few months.  Weight I lost last year is staying off for me and my husband.  We both feel better.

LIFE IS GOOD!

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-20-2014 - 1:35pm
I actually did really well (I'm proud of myself!). I took out $120 for my weekly "allowance". I spent $30 on dog food (I had $20 put aside for it but there was a sale so I stocked up) and extra $10 spent I went grocery shopping and spent $60 on milk, yogurt cottage cheese and other things for lunches, some fruit and a few things for dinners for the weekend. I had my dad and stepmom over on Saturday for dinner and I made cooked a lasagna that I had pre-made during a batch cook, and used pasta and sauce that I had in the pantry as a side. I did buy lettuce and bacon to make a homemade caesar salad, and angel food cake and whipped cream for dessert (probably about $15 in ingredients). I had some friends over to watch football on Sunday and we used up some veggies and hummus that were about to go bad, as well as some crackers and cheese I had on hand (no cost). Then I took a roast out of the freezer (bought it when it was onsale a few weeks ago) and made a prime rib dinner with mashed potaotes (from the pantry) corn (from the pantry) and caesar salad (leftover lettuce/ bacon from Saturday) and made dinner for my mom and two friends (no cost). Also used wine that I had left over from Christmas. So I still have $50 left and enough food in the fridge/ freezer to take care of my lunches for the next few weeks. I will need to grab some more veggies for salads but I'm going to try and use the salad bar at my office. We have subsidized cafeteria and it costs me under $2.00 for a big bowl of salad with lots of veggies. Considering how much I waste in fresh vegetables this may be more cost effective (okay I don't actually waste it ... when my veggies go bad I grind them up and give them to the dogs!!!) So all in all a really good weekend. I am hoping for a few more like this since I have a spendy few months coming up! My trip to Ireland is booked and I have to cover the flight and tour cost until my tax return comes in. I am hoping to fund out of cash flow but if not, may need to put on the LOC for a month (which I do NOT want to do!!!).

Bex -

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-20-2014 - 1:34pm
I actually did really well (I'm proud of myself!). I took out $120 for my weekly "allowance". I spent $30 on dog food (I had $20 put aside for it but there was a sale so I stocked up) and extra $10 spent I went grocery shopping and spent $60 on milk, yogurt cottage cheese and other things for lunches, some fruit and a few things for dinners for the weekend. I had my dad and stepmom over on Saturday for dinner and I made cooked a lasagna that I had pre-made during a batch cook, and used pasta and sauce that I had in the pantry as a side. I did buy lettuce and bacon to make a homemade caesar salad, and angel food cake and whipped cream for dessert (probably about $15 in ingredients). I had some friends over to watch football on Sunday and we used up some veggies and hummus that were about to go bad, as well as some crackers and cheese I had on hand (no cost). Then I took a roast out of the freezer (bought it when it was onsale a few weeks ago) and made a prime rib dinner with mashed potaotes (from the pantry) corn (from the pantry) and caesar salad (leftover lettuce/ bacon from Saturday) and made dinner for my mom and two friends (no cost). Also used wine that I had left over from Christmas. So I still have $50 left and enough food in the fridge/ freezer to take care of my lunches for the next few weeks. I will need to grab some more veggies for salads but I'm going to try and use the salad bar at my office. We have subsidized cafeteria and it costs me under $2.00 for a big bowl of salad with lots of veggies. Considering how much I waste in fresh vegetables this may be more cost effective (okay I don't actually waste it ... when my veggies go bad I grind them up and give them to the dogs!!!) So all in all a really good weekend. I am hoping for a few more like this since I have a spendy few months coming up! My trip to Ireland is booked and I have to cover the flight and tour cost until my tax return comes in. I am hoping to fund out of cash flow but if not, may need to put on the LOC for a month (which I do NOT want to do!!!).

Bex -