Accountability Sept 16, 2013

iVillage Member
Accountability Sept 16, 2013
Mon, 09-16-2013 - 8:01am

Hi Everyone,

How did the weekend go? Frugal or pricey? Did you stay on budget?

My Dad came out to visit. It was so good to see him. He does not live near by. Sunday I had my in laws for supper. It was yummy.

I have been working in the garden this past week. Getting most things out as the weather has turned here. I just need to dig my carrots and then the garden is done for the year.  I do have a nice stash of onions and potatoes. I have been making fresh salsa lately(we are loving I have learned how to do this!) and we are on our fifth batch lol.  I have a buch of tomatoes I have no idea what to do with now. I don't really want to can them. I would like to freeze them some how but I'm not sure how to do it. For soups and stews and sauces etc. I shall google it!

I did grab some milk and few other groceries but other than that, no money spent. We went for some nice walks too. Love those free walks!

Have a good week everyone!

Community Leader
Mon, 09-16-2013 - 10:00am

Wasn't a bad weekend, but wasn't really as good as I was hoping.  We had a birthday party this weekend so $20 for the present, $148 at the grocery store which could have been better, but I ended up with the kids going with me and it completely throws me off my list and game.  We had a 50% off coupon for pizza so we ordered out Saturday evening, $17 and that doubled as lunch on Sunday.  I spent $5 of my last week's allowance at dunkin donuts on a coffee and donut for some much needed "me" time Saturday afternoon.  And then DH wanted to go get more fresh produce last night to experiment with the new juicer he bought, that was $38.  On a good note, I accidentally overpaid the IRS last month when I sent them the big pay off check.  We got a letter this weekend that they sent the exces over to cover child support.  At the end of last year we were behind quite a bit, but I have been making every other week payments and was due to have it completely caught up the first week of October.  The extra payment now completely catches us up!!  We also got word that the VA finished its evaluation of DH's PTSD and they are increasing his monthly disability payment.  This is huge and he got the retroactive pay from March 1 to now in the account over the weekend.  So we can pay back his brother from a loan he needed from last December that we had planned to pay back next month also and the rest of the money will sit there for a bit until we can see how a legal matter that we are waiting on turns out.  But this is a huge relief for us now and we have a nice cushion at the moment for any emergencies.  Hoping this week is frugal! 

Photobucket
Community Leader
Mon, 09-16-2013 - 12:57pm

Got the oil changed in my new car $26.99, and they wanted to change my transmission fluid, also.  Took it to our mechanic and he did it for $70 versus $120.   I really, really don't want to replace another transmission!

Don't have numbers, but got some groceries and tried homemade pizza.  Well, took forever to get the crust done in the middle.  Turned out okay.  Only real splurge was The Human Bean for me and DD and a new culing iron for $20.00. 

Serenity
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-16-2013 - 1:41pm

Surprisingly we had a good weekend. DH wanted to take the kids to McDonalds one night and I stopped him. We have almost gotten them out of the restaurant habit. They associate restaurants with quality family time and that is not good. We did pick up some sushi Sat but I made the rice & edamane at home. Our usual bill is $50 and this time it was $25.

We only bought $45 of needed groceries (milk, eggs, etc). Sunday, DS1 and I made dinner and pumpkin scones together. New quality time :)

And we took the kids swimming $12, coffees twice $18. 6-pack of beer $15 for the party Sat night.

It might look pricey but we were out having fun all w/end - park, pool, etc and we didn't spend nearly as much as we would have when we are all off work for 3 days!

Happy,

Dee

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-16-2013 - 4:18pm

It was a good weekend, DH is off on his hunting trip this week & so I get to veg & eat what I want in the evenings this week, a nice break for me too!  The weather is turning here, we had rain Fri & Sat, but it is warm & sunny today.  I hibernated this weekend, cleaned out our closet & organized fall/winter clothes & shoes & cleaned & organized some kitchen cupboards & counters.  Feels really good to get that done.  We are doing pretty good with our budget, paying extra on mortgage every week & watching our grocery shopping.  We are able to add a little to EF each week, have cut down on that as we are punching the mortgage in the nose!  Our EF is at $9000. I feel really comfortable with that amount for our 6 - 9 mth EF fund.  We put a new roof on the house this spring & closed up two skylights, so we need to do a little bit of remodeling on the inside to fix the ceilings.  We haven't even started because we need to take down popcorn ceiling & we haven't had the time to tackle that.  Not in a rush, but would like to work on these projects this fall/winter.  Mortgage is now under 21,000...we are counting down 3 mths to be done with that puppy...we will be using most of my christmas bonus to finish it off, last yr my net bonus was $18,000 so we should have a little extra when its all said & done. 

Have a good & frugal week everyone.

cindylee

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-16-2013 - 4:19pm

My usual frugal weekend turned expensive with Thursday nights thunder & lightning show.  We lost our Pet Safe fence unit AGAIN due to lightning.  GRRRR   All my fault.  I unplugged it from the wall but I did not take the time to disconnect the two little copper wires that actual run thru the wall to the fence.  The wire is copper and it draws electricy...apparently.  We did not loose anything else.  Really really bad storm.  1.8" on downpour making our yearly rain fall over 56.00 inches for the year.  Do I live in the Amazon? NO! 

The fence set us back $140.  Boooo hissss but I now have another collar for the dogs so all my dogs plus my son's husky have Pet Safe collars. 

Still looking so forward to getting the Chapter 13 payments behind us.  Thankful another weeks check is in the mail to the Trustee.  23 more to go!