Accountability Sept 3, 2013

iVillage Member
Accountability Sept 3, 2013
Tue, 09-03-2013 - 8:16am

Hey everyone! Not sure if that was a long weekend in the States or not but it was here in Canada! How did the weekend go? Did you splurge or were you frugal? Let us know.

The store is gone! We counted inventory, agreed on it and I handed over my keys. I will still be helping the new owner get adjusted. I want it be just as sucessful as when I ran it. Now comes the whole closing out procedure. It will take a few weeks for sure. I am still looking for a real job! Bitter sweet emotions going on but doing just fine! I spent money on pizza and wine for the inventory procedure, well the store did lol. Looking forward to spending some time with my baby girl!

I think that was all that was spent for cash.

Kids are back to school this week. I have all their supplies and a few new clothes and shoes already, nothing crazy. I will probably need to pay a few fees for things this week. I also have some juices and snacks for lunches ready to go. Oh they need to go back, they are so bored!

Have a great week everyone!

Community Leader
Tue, 09-03-2013 - 9:30am

Congrats on the store Karen!  I hope this next chapter in your life is wonderful!!

We did well this weekend overall.  I got out of work early on Friday and had the long weekend.  In two trips to the grocery store I spent around $165, got $20 out in cash for me for the week's spending money also.  I took the little girls to the pool on Sunday, it cost me $5.50 and drinks on the way home, $2.60 and then DH and I went out last minute to a movie last night at the discount theater.  We had already eaten dinner, so it cost me $4 for the movie and no concessions.   I do have a few expenses this week, namely all new ink cartridges for the printer, but other than that, I am hoping for a thrifty week.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-03-2013 - 1:44pm

We stayed in and ate leftovers for dinner yesterday.  I'd call that frugal!

Today I bought lunch from the lunch truck.  Not happy about it considering he didn't really have anything I like today but I'm starving.  Plus I'm trying to stay away from doing that because it adds up fast.

On the bright side, I'm still on budget for the week.

On the not so bright side, it's a short week, so next week looks as if it may be a little (a lot) hairy budget-wise.  I'm trying to keep money back for larger expenses each week rather than have to come up with it all at once, so I have a good bit, but I want to keep this going and not sweat the bills when they come. 

Have to pay a parking ticket that IMO I never should have gotten, but it will cost me more to miss work and fight it than to just pay it and be done.  Unbudgeted money out the window for no reason.  I'm not anti-police.  I love the police when they're out looking for the real bad guys.  But I feel this guy was being a real jerk about which cars he ticketed that day. (My boss got one too!)

Feeling icky.  I was feeling pretty positive, but the short week, plus my one boss calling me off a day last week (He was taking off and if he's not in, I don't work either.)  In total, I'm short $234.00 for the two weeks.  Hurts just a tad to have just done that math.  Cry

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-04-2013 - 11:49am

We had a good long weekend.  The weather has been beautiful, actually it is still really hot here for the start of Sept...no change in weather yet other than a much need rain shower once in a while.  DH started his new job last week & already got his 1st paycheck, really pleased with the job & it seems he is settling in.  We were starting to plan an Alaska cruise with family Aug 2014 but that is not a good time for him to take off work, it would be better for him to take off in the winter...can't cruise Alaska in the winter.  Anyway, it would have been a very expensive trip so we'll think of something else to do in the winter of 2014.  We will be debt free including our mortgage in Dec...our balance is under $21,700.  We've been paying extra every week, still can't wait to have the mortgage gone!  It is amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.  Sacrificing now so that we can be debt free.  Very thankful for our jobs, both of us work right here in our town of 200 people!  So happy that we don't have to commute. 

Have a good & frugal week

cindylee

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-04-2013 - 11:50am

Karen,

so glad you have closed on your store.  It sounds like you are ready for something new in your life.  Enjoy your baby & your family.

cindylee

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-05-2013 - 3:39pm
Congratulations. I remember closing out our trucking company in 2008. Everytime I thought I had completed all the paper work...here came another piece in the mail. Good luck on crossing this bridge. Enjoy that baby girl!
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-05-2013 - 3:45pm

Had a great three day weekend, but don't they have a way of going by too fast.  We had a great steak supper for my birthday on Sunday for under $20 with frest grilled corn and pasta salad.  I spent some of my birthday money from boss and in-laws on jeans and nail polish.  We done some work around the farm, hubby bush hogged some in the fields but he has a terrible sinus infection that he cannot shake.  I done some yard work and paid for it dearly with sore joints.  Lots of rain overnight two nights.  Crazy weather this year.  We've had over 54 inches of rain this year.  Very very wet and I'm STILL picking blueberries!!!  I picked two quarts this past weekend!  Yikes!  My freezer's are full!  

Still trying to save money and still waiting on the bankruptcy court to send their blessing to the mortgage company so we can refinance.  The rates have probably went up a little, but I'm not letting it ruin anything.  Inluding my mood!

Life is Good!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-06-2013 - 9:55am

Hey Norma, yes hang in there on the refinance. It will be worth it.

More blueberries!! Awesome! Hoping you can fit them in the freezer. Or make a smoothie?

How do you grill corn without it drying it out? What is your secret?