Weekly goals, September 24, 2012

iVillage Member
Weekly goals, September 24, 2012
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:11am

Last week of Septemebr adn it's officially autumn her ein teh Northern Hemisphere. What's more, there was a possible frost alert ont eh weather last night! Had DH bring in my pot with teh eggplants as they had started blooming again. Will have to go out today or tomorrow and pick the last tomatoes, I fear, as I'm sure they won't ripen now...

Otherwise, it's business as usual here. How about you all?

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 10:30am

It does sound wonderful!

I don't know if you ever watch "Cooks Kitchen" on PBS/Create, but the do a similar cake with peaches and said an issue with peaches is that they are very juicy adn have little pectin so they tend to sink in the cake adn make it soggy as well, so they "roasted" their peaches before stirring them into the batter. http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=29695

Wonder if that would work with pears as well...

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 2:39am

Here's a link to the recipe:  http://southernfood.about.com/od/pears/r/r70204c.htm  Still haven't made it, but it does sound yummy, doesn't it?  I think you could probably substitute regular pears, they just wouldn't have as much "body" as the Asian pears.

Liz

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-27-2012 - 12:53pm

That Asian pear cake sounds delicious! Care to share a recipe? And can regular pears be substituted?

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-26-2012 - 9:53pm

Jaquie - I know what you mean about buying things that need ironing.  I have several things I've bought over the years that tend to just hang in the closet forever until I desperately want to wear them.  And I'm usually not that desperate!

last week goals:

Mail the bookmarks for the boys - Not Done  I know, I know

Work on Halloween canvas work project  DONE

Contact Judy (former co-worker)  DONE even got a reply

Bake something now that weather is a bit cooler  Not Done - well the weather warmed back up although it does get quite chilly at night.  Forgot to stop at Whole Foods after Stitching group today to get some whole wheat flour for the Asian Pear cake I want to bake.  Really need to do that before they go bad.  (We have a small tree)  Looks like the apples are about ready too.

Go to Farmers Market  DONE - lots of intersting looking stuff, but for now just bought yummy strawberries & tomatoes.  Had BLT's for dinner that night.  Yum!

this week's goals:

Mail the bookmarks for the boys 

Work on Halloween canvas work project

Bake something if weather is a bit cooler

Go to Stitching Guild

Order Uncle Bob's prescriptions

Liz

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 5:04pm

If push comes to shove, that designer fabric could always go to Good Will (or equivalent), I should think...

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 3:00pm

Yep, Fall is here for sure & a lot of my time is prepping garden for next Spring.  I did one pass of spreading grass seed in bare spots where weeds were finally killed, but rain washed the seed away.

LAST WEEK -

Except for finally finishing the fabric headbands for GrDs, no sewing going on here.  The bands consisted of 8" wide piece which was gathered at each edge, then pressed into wrinkles.  These edges had to match the tube with elastic that holds the headband on.  Trying to stuff all that fabric into the tube was a pain - I wound up topstitching the band onto the tube.  I figure that part will be hidden under their long hair.

I haven't yet found anyone locally wanting the boxes of fashion fabric, so they sit in the way.

Our GrSs widow has gotten interested in making photo quilts, so I took my inkjet printer, spare cutting board & rotary cutter to her.  I am so glad she has found a creative outlet to help with her grief.

We had 2 birthday celebrations in one day.  First was afternoon party for 5 yr old GrGrD, the second was dinner out for 22 yr old GrS.

Also began pulling out clothes I haven't worn in ages & donating them to charity.  I wish someone would smack me everytime I buy some lovely piece of clothing that require starching & ironing!

THIS WEEK -

Mon - yard work before 3 days of rain. 

Tues/Weds - one more pass through fabric boxes to pick out what could be used in quilts

Thurs - retirement luncheon for our eldest DS.  He works at a state facility that gave him working credits for USAF & their Fire Department before he joined the power plant, so that's how he gets to retire at 50.  Makes me feel really old to have son retiring just 5 years after I did.

Fri - watch GrDs after school & take them to piano lessons.

Sat/Sun - if ground dries out, it will be time to transplant a few things.

Jacquie

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:22am

Last week... I didn't foreget ANY appointments! YAY!

I started off with paying four different tax agencies quarterly payments to his morning!  

Tuesday  

• - Girls' Night Out - We were thinking of skipping the demo and just crafting at Mary's house, but they changed the demo schedule so... === DONE. Mary cooked a meal and we played with making ereader covers...
  • - CSA pick-up === DONE. 

Wednesday 

• - housecleaner comes === DONE. 
  • - pay bills and balance the accounts === DONE. 
  • - haircut === DONE. 

Thursday - dentist === DONE. 

Friday - Volunteer Fire Department steak-out (we have tickets already and invited two friends to go with us) === DONE. 

And stitching!  There will be the usual new Take a Stitch on Tuesday === DONE. ; "Kimono - Revisited" - the September sections === NOT DONE;  and the seam embellishments on the crazy quilt block  for the Color Palette/Crazy Quilt Journal/Bead Journal Project Challenge === DONE. ! Got an email that "Color Through the Ages" won't be ready until October === DONE. (actually ended up getting it on Tuesday so...) ...And of course, "Birds of a Feather" === DONE - got to the metallic sections but decided that I needed to get TAST, Color and the crazy quilt block done this week instead.

For the card-making group on CraftBubbles, I need (well, maybe need is too strong a word; want is better...) to come up with another, better card for the September challenge..., photograph all three and get them posted by the weekend... === DONE - but only two. Gave up on #3.

As for blog(s), I'm all caught up on two and am working on getting photos into the third (slow but doable...but it means getting albums set up on Photobucket and it's running so SLOW today!). Multiply shutting down has really meant a lot of work on my part (they haven't provided a full solution for exporting yet and may never, given the rate at which they are moving) copying and rewriting so I can get everything up-to-date. Hoping that three parallel blogs means if one shuts down, there won't be another marathon scramble to back-up like this was/is! === NOT DONE - slow and tedious and there was so much more to do last week... Besides, a second back-up seems so much less critical... I

It was a struggle but I also got my website, which I hadn't touched since July, caught up (for some reason, it was balking at letting me upload photos using Safari so I had to switch to Camino, which wouldn't let me edit text! AAACK!).

This week... 

Tuesday  

• - Girls' Night Out 
  • - CSA pick-up 

Wednesday 

• - housecleaner comes
  • - pay bills and balance the accounts 

And stitching!  There will be the usual new Take a Stitch on Tuesday; "Kimono - Revisited" - the September sections;  and if I get all caught up, "Birds of a Feather".  

As for blog(s), working on getting photos into that third  one...