Weekly Goals, week beginning May 20, 3013

iVillage Member
Weekly Goals, week beginning May 20, 3013
Mon, 05-20-2013 - 11:56am

Summer came and spring never really happened, although the flowers did bloom it was only for a short period and in sequence, not all together. Leaves are out in full, the maple tree has deposited TONS of pollen all around our yard (and was pruned by the tree service for it's efforts --- and to get rid of limbs that had been affected by the canker last fall!), and the place is HOT, HOT, HOT (mid-80s) and humid. Storms predicted for Tuesday (naturally --- it's always Tuesday) from that front that's causing havoc in Oklahoma... here's hoping everyone is all right out there in the plains...

My tomatoes are planted, there is a mallard duck nesting in the azalea beds in our front garden (we think --- if she's not nesting, she's developed a fixation for our front porch and driveway) and my eyes are on the mend (new glasses in a week or so and heopfully that will fix the REST of my vision issues.

Any goals to report in on? Any to-do lists for the coming week? Inquiring minds (read that as "Nosey Parkers") want to know...

CL for "

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-20-2013 - 12:02pm

LAST WEEK...

Tuesday

• hair cut as 12: 30 === DONE
  • eye appointment to get new glasses prescription at 1:30 === DONE
  • Girls' Night out if my eye appointment goes well and I'm not dilated.  === DONE

Wednesday

• housecleaner comes  === DONE
  • pay bills and balance books  === DONE
  • There was also the quarterly talk with financial advisor  === DONE

Saturday - Black Swamp Hosta and Daylily Society perennial plant sale (and I'm pretty sure that, in addition to helping label and price plants for DH, I will be helping him ferry 100 pots to the sale Saturday AM.)  === DONE. I labeled and prices something like 65 pots of plants for sale (from Wednesday and Thursday on) and helped him load 100 pots into BIL's borrowed pick-up truck Friday night. The sale was a success --- all but 10 of his pots sold before the half-price sale went into effect at Noon (and we get a check for half the proceeds from our pots after the sale is over and results are tabluated! YAY!).

I bought tomato and eggplant sets on Tuesday and planted them in big pots on Sunday... We should have SOME veg for the summer.

Stitching? Still on the docket is my April BJP butterfly  === DONE,  the 2012 Color Palette/Crazy Quilt Journal/Bead Journal Project wall hanging  === NOT DONE, The May Crazy Quilt Journal block  === NOT DONE, the May Bead Journal butterfly  === STARTED (at least I picked out the fabric and the beads), and "Midnight Garden",   === NOT DONE and now two weeks of TAST assignments as well  === DONE. Oh yes, and I signed up for two more online "classes" --- one on background stitches with Janet Perry which starts in June and one with Tracy Horner of InkCircles on a customizable mandala (It apparently has already started and I have NO clue as to what I am supposed to do there... ooops!)  === NOT DONE although I figured out what I'm supposed to be doing, Now to pick a colorway and a fabric and get stitching. .

THIS WEEK.....

Tuesday

• Luncheon with the widow of a friend of DH's
  • Girls' Night Out

Wednesday - the housecleaner is on vacation so I will have to do the weekly clean myself! AACK And pay bills and balance books

Stitching? Still on the docket is the 2012 Color Palette/Crazy Quilt Journal/Bead Journal Project wall hanging, The May Crazy Quilt Journal block, the May Bead Journal butterfly,  "Midnight Garden",  the "Roll Your Own Mandala" SAL with Tracy Horner of Ink Circles, and now tomorrow's TAST assignment s as well.

A quiet week overall, so maybe I will get caught up! Here's hoping!

CL for "

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-20-2013 - 9:49pm

Well, I don't know what I did last week, but I sure didn't do much on my goals list.  I did go to the Grand Opening of the new Smart & Final store that opened down the street from us.  It was packed, but they did keep things moving & there were some good buys.  It'll be nice having something close by & they're open until 10 pm.

So here's what I had down for last week:

Work on Uncle Bob's paperwork AGAIN!  Worked on it a little, but didn't finish up.

Stitch on something  Did a little, but never really settled on anything

Take Uncle Bob to a movie  Not done

Get price quotes on homeowners insurance  Not done

For this week:

Keep working on Uncle Bob's paperwork 

Stitch on something

Take Uncle Bob to a movie

Get price quotes on homeowners insurance

Guild Meeting on Weds.

I should probably just put that my goal is to complete at least one of last weeks goals!

Liz

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-20-2013 - 10:49pm

Just curious... What is a Smart and Final?

and what kinds of paperwork are you struggling with?

CL for "

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-21-2013 - 11:23pm

Smart & Final used to be a grocery wholesaler, but somewhere along the line they opened to the public.  They're sort of a cross between a wharehouse store & a regular grocery.  You find regular size products next to giant sizes of the same product.  They also carrry a lot of paper products like take-out containers, etc.  We have lived in what was considered a "food desert" because there are no large markets in the area. Target has some groceries now & we have gotten a Trader Joe's, but nowhere close to do a full grocery run.

What I've been working on is getting Uncle Bob's veteran's benefits started. We won't even talk about how long this has been going on.  But my big hang-up lately has been getting information from the Civil Service Administration which is where his pension comes from.  One of the latest thing the VA has requested is the amount he pays for his health insurance.  But the CSA makes working with the VA seem like a good time.  The one woman I keep getting on the phone (after calling over & over for an hour each time) makes the term "civil service" seem like a bad joke.  Plus since they are on the East Coast, there's the time difference to deal with & it seems they work from 6am to 3pm.  This, even though the handle the whole country.  Getting over to Uncle Bob's place early enough to spend an hour or more trying to get through before noon here is a real challenge. And I always leave a message the first time through with both his # and my cell # - they NEVER call back.  And when you call you're not put in a queu - you just get a message saying that all staff is busy right now, please leave a message & that's it.  however, our local congressman, Mike Thompson, is now trying to assist in getting the VA benefits started, so today I had his office fax our request for the needed information to them with their cover letter.  So maybe things will finally move along.  It's all so frustrating, I'm really the last person who should be responsible for other people's stuff, but here I am.  At least Uncle Bob, Bob & I did make it to a movie afterward - "42" about Jackie Robinson.  I'm sure it was a bit simplistic, but it was a real feel-good movie too.  Although although seeing Harrison Ford as a crochety old man (Branch Rickey) hurt a bit.  Where's the dashing Han Solo or Indiana Jones?  sigh

Liz

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-21-2013 - 11:42pm

I was afraid it was VA and similar... I've heard similar horror stories about the red tape involved, and believe me, it's no easier here on the Eastern Time Zone... Here's hoping your congressman has some "juice" and gets Uncle Bob his just rewards...

CL for "