WIP Wednesday - 3/21/12

iVillage Member
WIP Wednesday - 3/21/12
Wed, 03-21-2012 - 12:53pm

Well, here's Kimono-Revisited as of Sunday (with another counting error adn, for the life of me, I can't FIND it!)...March 18, 2012.jpg

This is three plus spools of Kreinik...

I worked on TAST on Monday night and there was the NCAA Women's regionals last night (My team lost, Boo Hoo!) and tonight I expect I'll work on the Colors Through The Ages - Ancient Egypt (I have it all kitted up adn read to go) "club"! So Kimono will have to sit and sttew a while longer...

Any other WIPS out there?

Community Leader
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 12:42am

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c122/nottoo/Crafts%20and%20gifts/DSC00242.jpg

This is my latest project - a soft book of colors for my granddaughter. This will be the front cover. At this point it is untrimmed. Pardon all the loose threads hanging from it and the uneven edges.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 3:20am
So pretty!

When you do the pages, are you using a foundation? That makes it so much easier. Check out the various grids on the Pin Tanglr site... http://pintangle.squarespace.com/journal/2012/2/16/introducing-block-55-on-the-i-dropped-the-button-box-quilt.html is block 55 but there are links to all the other blocks she did down the post. I draw the "grids" on felt and us that as the foundation, but you can use muslin or been paper. Makes crazy quilting so very easy!

Community Leader
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 9:29am

I will be using a muslin foundation. Thanks for the link. I will have to check it out. I had looked at some other sites already, but not that one. I think I may have created a problem for myself because I transferred the color name to the muslin foundation, thinking I would just leave that part showing (like I did on the cover) but the logistics may be harder on a crazy quilt block. Let's see if I can get the next page done to show next week.:smileywink:

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-22-2012 - 12:15pm

Muslin is g agreat choice as, if you have to unpick a seam, it's alot easier than with paper (and felt, I found! LOL)

Well, what you have to do is put the color name on the side you do not sew on... Uusally, the lines you follow are on the wrong side, and you place the fabric on the unmarked, "clean" right side. Which means that when I use one of those grids, my finsihed block is a mirror image of the one she shows...

So if you put your color name in the middle, just transfer (trace, using alight box --- should be easy to see them through muslin) those sewing lines to the back so you can see them and you are set. Does that make sense?

Oh, another tip --- start your seam BEFORE the line starts, and end it outside, roughly 1/4". That means your stitching will be anchored by the next seam you stitch, and so forth, and there is no need to backstitch to secure the seam beginning and end. Especially useful if the piece will be handled a lot, like it will in a child's book!