2102 Roll Call --- lurkers welcome!

iVillage Member
2102 Roll Call --- lurkers welcome!
Mon, 01-02-2012 - 11:17am

Who's here? Tell us about yourself, and what stitchery is your "happiness"...

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-02-2012 - 5:48pm

I'm Carol, cl for this board, and a resident (going on 10 years now) in NW Ohio.

I am, by nature, a cross-stitcher (with a real love for blackwork), but I have decided, in the past few years, to try to stitch outside my comfort zone.

So, to that end, in 2010, I took on the Bead Journal Project (BJP), joined a quilt guild and entered the county fair.

In 2011, I continued with BJP, becaem webmaster for teh quilt guild and entered again in teh county fair;

Community Leader
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 2:28am

My first love was needlepoint and I did a lot of that going back to 1973. I have several of the books listed as resources in our book on Kimono-Revisted. They are quite valuable now!! But I never liked doing the background so when cross stitch became popular I took off doing that. I have belonged to the Embroider's Guild of America, Valley Quail Chapter since it was started (almost 30 years). I was the first member in after the chapter was chartered. Many of the folks there are into counted thread and gradually I have begun to work in that medium. I found it really difficult at first to work on linen but I have learned how and I now enjoy that. I don't do stump work through. And I don't like crewel embroidery.

I am also doing the Kimono Revisited and I hope I can get it done. Anymore I don't like projects that are supposed to take a year to complete. Right now I am stitching a black work sampler with metalic stars from the EGA and I am making good progress on it. I must get this done so I can start on the kimono. Then there are several other unfinished things, like my bargello purse, that I would like to get finished. We shall see. I am trying to be more disciplined but that really isn't working. But I do need to get some things finshed so that I can enter them in the county fair. I think it is important to show these crafts to the general public so these crafts don't die out.

I live in the northern San Francisco Bay Area. And my husband has just retired and that is already having an impact on my stitching!. I am trying to set aside time everyday when I can stitch but he isn't always that cooperative.

With all of this, is there any wonder that I don't do quilting or haven't opened my sewing machine in a very long time!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 10:55am

Retired husbands can be a trial, I admit. Once my DH decided on the things that interested him, he wasn't underfoot all the time, but still, his idea of shceduling "together time" isn't always compatible with my stitching time! And we've been working on this issue for nearly ten years! LOL

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 12:52pm

Jacquie, in frigid mid-Illinois here.

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-03-2012 - 9:05pm

Hi there! I'm on & off this board, because I do a lot more knitting & crochet than embroidery & tailoring. (DH embroiders sometimes). So right now I'm making toys. Sometime this year I'll be doing more socks. And I'm trying to learn to use a spindle, and the first yarn I'm making is rather thick, so there will probably be a hat or two.

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-04-2012 - 8:35am

You are welcome any time --- after all, knitting uses needles so that makes it stitchery of a sort, and a crocheted piece is second-cousin to knitting!

Sppinning --- how cool! How are you finding it? Difficult? I always thought it woul dbe hard to keep the resultant threads "even" but then, maybe it doesn't have to be...

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-04-2012 - 9:55am

Spinning, simple in theory, but I fell in love with a supported spindle, and there's relatively little information available on that (as opposed to drop spindles). On the other hand, most of the information boils down to "just keep doing it; you'll get better".

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-05-2012 - 5:21pm

I'm Liz, also from NorCAL - about an hr. north of San Francisco. I'm also a member of the Redwood Stitchers chapter of EGA. Really Mary Frances, we've got to get together one of these days!

Liz

Community Leader
Fri, 01-06-2012 - 1:52am

If Barbara Seuss (I think that is the correct last name) is the instructor you will enjoy this. I was taking her class when I had to have my heart surgery and I didn't get to finish the third ball but I did the first two. It really isn't that hard. Abby thought it was wonderful because she then had something new to chase around the house. I put a stop to that immediately!!

Community Leader
Fri, 01-06-2012 - 1:58am

We have a local spinning and weaving group called the Twisted Spinsters. I have watched them card and spin yarn. I haven't tried it myself. Out here we have something called Sheep to Shawl competitions where the spinner is given

Pages