Stitching Blogger's Question for March 2012

iVillage Member
Stitching Blogger's Question for March 2012
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 12:50pm

Do you (or Have you ever) participate in exchange or RR stitching? Why or Why Not? This question from Lake Stitcher at http://lakestitcher.blogspot.com/2012/03/march-sbq-and-i-had-most-amazing-day.html

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 12:59pm

We used to have ornament exchanges on this board, several years back (2004 - 2007) when TPTB weren't so worried about snail mail address exchanges. You can see some of them on our web site... It was fun, and I think there was only one or two instances in the two years that someone backed out or disappeared and never sent their ornament (in those cases, the rest of us stepped up and stitched a replacement!). Looking at that page, it's sad to see how many of the board members are no longer with us!

I belong to another forum where swaps and RRs are common. For a few years, I also participated in their ornament exchanges and a few other kinds of swaps as well. And there was one RR - the Neighborhood RR - which I was part of. I have yet to finish mine (it needs a

Community Leader
Sun, 03-11-2012 - 8:00pm

I participated in the one we had here at iVillage and I really looked forward to thinking up something for the other person. I still wear the angel pin that I got from one of the exchange buddies. I was sad when this ended. Although I think it was a lot of work for the coordinator, I think ending it for privacy reasons was a bunch of nonsense. Only the coordinator and the person who received the name knew the address of the people in the exchange and if you were worried about that you just didn't have to join. I don't even remember the names or the addresses of the people I exchange ornaments with.

Community Leader
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 12:09am

I miss the one we had here, too! It was a lot of fun and I still have the ornaments I got from those exchanges. It was not really all that hard to co-ordinate, either, as it was never a whole lot of people -- maybe 8 to 10 at the very most. I never had any privacy concerns about it, either.

I have never tried any other stitching exchanges, although I did stitch a bookmark for an online book club once. It could be any kind, purchased or hand made so I chose to cross stitch mine. I never even got a thank you from the person who got it, so I decided I would never do that again.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 4:04am

Our guild does an ornament exchange every year which I really enjoy, and I've also stitched bookmarks for an exchange on a reading board here which has since moved to Goodreads & has continued the bookmark Christmas exchange tradition.

Liz

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 1:28pm
I like exchanges and usually just participate in Christmas ones. Postage is my big obstacle recently - it costs so much to send things from Canada to other countries! Even in Canada, sending parcels to friends or family can be pricey. My high school bestie and I now save books to swap when she comes back to visit, otherwise we'd be "wasting" money. That's also why I no longer do blog giveaways for the books I review. :(

I'm not really worried about snail mail addresses being exchanged - when I got door-to-door mail delivery, I could be found through Yellow Pages and then my postal code confirmed with the Canada Post website. Now that I have a box, you just have to contact one of my family and I'm sure they'd happily share the box number. ;) ;) I'm more concerned with privacy in terms of advertisers gathering my likes and dislikes or identity thefts going after the little money I have. ;)