7/24/13....QOTW...Why do they act like that?

Community Leader
7/24/13....QOTW...Why do they act like that?
Wed, 07-24-2013 - 1:48pm

Hi everyone...and I hope you're having a good week so far.  It's been hot and humid here...but I think we're supposed to get some thunderstorms today to cool things off a bit.

Many times when DH takes Cleo to the dog park he'll tell me that she stalks or chases squirrels...and I've seen her do that when I'm there too.  But...in our yard she just ignores them.  I used to worry when I put her out because I'll often see 4-5 squirrels under or on my bird feeder....but she acts as if there not even there.

She's the same way with people; at the dog park she has to go up to every single person to get attention; but when someone comes to the house she becomes timid.

Do your furkids act one way at one time, and differently at others?

Laura
Community Leader
Mon, 07-29-2013 - 12:07pm

I lived and worked in New York for most of my life; even when I lived in NJ I worked in Manhattan.  City streets are like no other; there's often car exhaust, heat off the asphalt, etc.  But in the "country" the air is so much cleaner and clearer....that's probably why Fiona feels more comfortable.

Laura
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-28-2013 - 5:01pm

Yes, Fiona surely does act different at different places.

It's been hot here, and when I take her for walks in the city she gets overheated quickly.  Every block or so she lies down in the shade or rolls around in the grass.  I try to take her for jogs in the evening or early morning, but she doesn't last very long like she does in the cooler weather.

Yesterday we took her to hiking trail, in a completely wooded area.  We let her off the leash, & she's amazingly well behaved following the trail and listening to us if she strays too far ahead (which she hardley did.)  We hiked for 5.3 miles.  Fiona practically jogged the entire way (stopping every five seconds to make sure that we were still behind her), and didn't stop looking overheated once.  We did stop and take a five minute water break, but that was it.  

It's crazy how walking in the city exausts her so quickly, & she acted like she could have gone forever in the woods.