Anybody see 60 Minutes on 4/21?

iVillage Member
Anybody see 60 Minutes on 4/21?
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 2:04am

SmileA section was about bomb/substance sniffing dogs and their training.  At one point the trainer they were interviewing was talking about how a dog's sense of smell is 1000 times as good as OURS is.  Then he said something like "when a person smells beef stew cooking on the stove, they smell BEEF STEW. period; but a DOG isn't smelling "stew", it smells the beef, the celery, the potatoes, the carrots, the gravy, the onions - and they smell each thing separate from each other".  I just looked at my dogs and shook my head, saying I had no clue it was like that for them!!!  Just one little visit inside the head of a dog, I loved it! 

Upload a File: 

~~joannaran~~

Community Leader
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 5:25pm

Amazing!!  I often wonder what Cleo smells when I take her for a walk....he nose is always on the ground....and then she'll stop and "plaster" her nose in one spot.

DH said that on Sunday when he took her to the dog park she was digging....and no matter how often he chased her away from the hole she kept going back.  I told him that she must have smelled something....probably a vole.

Love the pic....you have such beautiful puppies!!

Laura
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-23-2013 - 10:53pm

It explains why they go so bonkers over "people food".  Jess is a nose to the road dog, too, she isn't as fond of walks as Jake is, but when she does go that nose is on the ground constantly.  I just figured they smelled the overall thing.  Those puppies are 8 (the little white sweetie, Jessie) and Jake will be 10 in May - since he's a pound puppy we arbitrarily opted to have his birthday the same as DH's, they belong to each other 100%, anyway.  Time flies way too fast with our dogs. 

~~joannaran~~