iVillage Member
Registered: 01-26-2005
Sun, 12-09-2012 - 12:14am

Hi guys.

I got Fiona for one of her 1st birthday presents a medium sized Nylabone.  Her cousin, Ronan, has one that she likes to chew on at his house.  She absolutely loves her new Nylabone.  I just wonder how safe it is for her to be ingesting all of that plastic.  It doesn't seem like a good idea.  She loves it way more than she ever loved her boiled cow femur bone.  

Does anyone else give their dogs Nylabones?  Are they safe?  


iVillage Member
Registered: 11-04-1999
Sun, 12-09-2012 - 3:56am
Hi, in a perfect world myself and my Rudi would only eat 100% healthy homemade food and treats. But so not a perfect world in my household. I buy the edible type of bones from Nylabones that are made in USA. Alas, Rudi has learned they are edible so after 5 minutes of hiding the bone around the house she eats it, therefore I only give her 1 a week as way too many calories and too expensive to let her eat 1 a day. I use to buy some plastic bones from Hartz too but I wondered her ingesting some of it as she would chew on it and I knew she was eating some of it. She will be 2 yrs in January and still tries to chew and ingest everything. I buy some other edible things that look like rawhide, those are made in Argentina. Josie
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-01-1999
Sun, 12-09-2012 - 5:15pm

My Nylabone is probably ten years old.  None of the pugs who have passed through my house has had any interest in it whatsoever.

Avatar for CMEvelyn
iVillage Member
Registered: 05-29-2012
Wed, 12-12-2012 - 11:13am

I have a Nylabone which is probably way over 10 years old and none of my dogs ever showed any interest in it. After reading a few articles online, I would advise you to at least keep your eye on the dog and the bone. The articles are old, so maybe things have changed, but you can make up your own mind:


Purely Pets

From the Nylabone Website: NON-EDIBLE CHEW PRODUCTS are made with plastic, rubber, or nylon. They are NOT intended for consumption. During normal chewing, tiny bristle-like projections are raised that help clean teeth. If these tiny pieces (no larger than a small grain of rice) are ingested, they should pass through. A dog should not be able to break off larger pieces of any Nylabone® Non-Edible Chew. If you think that your dog swallowed a large piece of a Non-Edible Chew, take the chew away and contact your veterinarian for advice. No dog toy or chew is totally indestructible. Frequently inspect any chew before giving it to your dog to make sure it's whole and intact, with no missing pieces. Replace a Non-Edible Chew when knuckle ends are worn down, or if it becomes too small to chew safely. Nylabone® Chews and Toys should not be boiled, placed in a dishwasher, washing machine, or convection or microwave oven.

After reading the report on CBS News, I won't be giving my dog any more Greenies either!