11/21/12....QOTW....Thanksgiving and Pets...

Community Leader
11/21/12....QOTW....Thanksgiving and Pets...
Wed, 11-21-2012 - 2:02pm

Hi everyone...and I hope your week is going well so far. And a Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!

So tomorrow's Thanksgiving....the start of the Holiday Season. I'm just thankful that I have a day off....LOL.... It will just be DH and myself...and Cleo. I'm making turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, mushrooms and a coconut custard pie. I know that most of these things are not good for dogs....but since I'm making a turkey breast Cleo will get some turkey in her food....but that's it. And since it will only be "us" there will not be a lot of people in the house to either make her nervous or cause her to overindulge.

Do you make any special accommodations for your furkids during the holidays?

Laura
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-23-2012 - 8:55am

Hi Laura...  I never get to the other boards ...  I have no excuse, I just seem to stay at Pet Homepages..

We did ham for Thanksgiving...Skye did get some green beans in her bowl...  Christmas is turkey, everyone will get some turkey..

Hope eveyone has happy a safe holiday season

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-23-2012 - 12:51pm

For the first time in four years, we hosted the family get-together, although there were really only five of us this year. 

You'd think that, with BIL being the primary go-to guy for cat sitting, that the cats would have been out to greet and meet but... Only Faith, the brave and tolereant one showed, and she got more than her fair share of pets and love from our niece! Dominic was in hiding and Kathy only walked through, complaining loudly about a lack of food (!!!)  once while we were eating!

I did the turkey (dry brined for the first time ever) and it worked but the gravy was SALTY! Now I know --- pour off most of the dripping! LOL But i also found a fix (beyond adding a full quart of unsalted broth, that is!). If your gravy is too salty, simmer potato slices in it for 15 minutes until the slices go translucent, discard the potatoes, taste, and repeat if necessary! OR you could add cream or half-and-half to cut the salty taste. Next time, I will be prepared!

SIL brought a sweetpotato casserole, biscuits, wine and a pumpkin pie. I did the turkey, gravy, dressing (oyster and sage), and a vegetable medley as well as home-made cranberry sauce and some slivered carroots, celery and olive for relish. Believe it or not, this was cutting back form our usual (since nephew and his girl weren't coming) but we still had left-overs out our ears! And all this was probably more than I should have done, haivng spent the last week fighting what was probably a mild stomach flu. I paid for it last night with a mini-replase...

DH cleaned up the carcass after all the left-overs were split up and offered Faith a taste of turkey but after a lengthy sniff, she walked away from the little titbits of thigh meat! This cat isn't a people food cat at all (and to think, we once had an Abby who would KILL for turkey! LOL).

CL for "

Community Leader
Fri, 11-23-2012 - 2:11pm

It sounds as if you had a wonderful time Carol....i miss those big family gatherings...or family gatherings at all....LOL....  It's great to share the work too.  DH's family always works like that...everyone brings "something" to big dinners.

That's funny about the cats....my sister has two cats right now and they so different even though they are siblings.  One will come right up to you and want to be petted...and the other one you rarely see....but you "hear" him all the time....LOL....

Laura