7/23/12....MONDAY ROLL CALL...

Community Leader
7/23/12....MONDAY ROLL CALL...
Mon, 07-23-2012 - 1:31pm

Hi everyone..,and Welcome to Monday.  The horrible heat finally broke over the weekend, but it's humid again today.  I know we shouldn't complain because there are areas that are getting much worse weather than we are.

Let's have your name, location, furkids' names and breeds and....what did you do this weekend?

Laura
Community Leader
Re: 7/23/12....MONDAY ROLL CALL...
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 12:33pm

Do you have pics of your DH's garden?  I'd love to see it.

I planted some cannas behind our pond....we had some put in when the pond was first built, but they all died.  I planted tubers this year and they're finally blooming.

Laura
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 7:01pm

I think this link still works where he was garden of the month on a web site/blog specializing in daylilies:

www.daylilydiary.com/16_CharlieHarper/index.html

CL for "

Community Leader
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 3:16pm

OMG....what fabulous pictures!!  Your DH is very talented.  It's wonderful to have such a passion for something.

Laura
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 4:09pm
Oh my! I'm awestruck!

How long did it take to make all those gardens? It must be a full-time job just keeping them up!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 5:55am
DH started the year we moved (2003) in by clearing and terracing the lake side backyard and planting hostas, ferns and other shade-lovers... That peaked at about 650 varieties of hosta!. After a few years, he ran out of shade and began planting sun loving perennials in the front yard - hence the large numbers of daylilies! LOL!He calls it "creep" - each year, a bed was enlarged about one foot all around, reducing grass bit by bit til we only have single-file-wide grass paths between large free-style beds!

So let's say 10 summers to get to where it is now. He really can't add more without taking out something now!

As for how much time, it's mostly perennials so the work is mulching in the fall (the local garden supply delivery truck knows our route by heart!), weeding in spring until the plants re-emerge and crowd out all except the nastiest of weeds, and dead-heading daylilies all summer long . He does most of it but has been known to talk some friends (but not me...) into some of the heavy work like the mulching as well... Anyway, we don't go anywhere in summer around here!

CL for "