7/24/13....QOTW...Why Do They Act Like That?

Community Leader
7/24/13....QOTW...Why Do They Act Like That?
Wed, 07-24-2013 - 1:50pm

Hi everyone...and I hope you're having a good week so far.  It's been hot and humid here...but I think we're supposed to get some thunderstorms today to cool things off a bit.

Many times when DH takes Cleo to the dog park he'll tell me that she stalks or chases squirrels...and I've seen her do that when I'm there too.  But...in our yard she just ignores them.  I used to worry when I put her out because I'll often see 4-5 squirrels under or on my bird feeder....but she acts as if there not even there.

She's the same way with people; at the dog park she has to go up to every single person to get attention; but when someone comes to the house she becomes timid.

Do your furkids act one way at one time, and differently at others?

Laura
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-25-2013 - 10:57am

Our cats are all indoor cats and therefore seem to feel that squirels, et all are of little interest UNLESS they actually sit on the window sill and taunt them! I've seen all three get really really defensive when chhipmunks, squirrels, racoon kits or other cats get too close to their windows on the world (birds are totally ignored --- exept for the time nine turkeys strolled through our yeard --- THAT got their attention!). Hackles are raised, growls are uttered and they form this phalanx (with teh male safely at the back) at the potential opening, ready to attack should the inteloper actually get inside.

If they ever got outside (and they do sneak out on us occasionally when a fit of bravura strikes them) I seriously doubt they'd hang around if squirrels approached and would certainly lose a fight if a stray cat arrived on the scene. Our cats are truly winps at heart!

Quite a change from our other cats of the past, who were hunters of mice, chipmunks, even rabbits (and brought them home as trophies!) and were real defenders of the property. But they were all indoo-outdoor cats (two were rescued strays, in fact) and were a little more street savvy than these three.

Community Leader
Fri, 07-26-2013 - 2:36pm

One day my beloved ^Valentine^ was in the yard barking her head off.  I checked and there was a rabbit all the way on the other side of the yard....Valentine was barking at him but didn't get closer than about 20 ft.....LOL...

When we lived in Staten Island we lived in a townhouse with a small backyard and a tall wooden fence.  My retiever/mix ^Maxwell^ did "not" like cats and would often chase any visiting felines out of our yard.  One day Maxwell was crying and barking at the glass sliding door; there was a cat sitting on the fence just watching him.  Poor Maxwell was just going crazy!  And I was laughing......

Laura